Large Scale Central

Do You Use a Clock during your op session?

I know a lot of folks use some sort of waybill type system to operate their railroad but how many also use a clock during their op session. I know that most large size multi train systems would use one but how many guys (gals) use a clock when operating their one or two train “shortline”. If you do use a clock, do you use actual time or some sort of “fast clock”?

It will be a while before operations get rolling in the garden, but on the HOm layout we used fast clocks (4:1) together with timetable operation. Whoever was dispatcher also got to play “God” and stop the time when things got too hairy. Always depended on how many rookies showed up :wink: :slight_smile: and who was running the wayfreights.

Yea,
On my former HO railroad we used a clock (real time - never got around to building a “fast clock”) as it was a multi train operation where it actually took 45" to an hour to work your way from one end of the line to the other. I was just curious to see if anyone operating a one or two train shortline like I do now outside uses a clock or not.

Currently we DON"T use any clock during operations. Where we will use a “Fast Clock” will be when the passenger trains are running on a schedual.

As for a “Fast Clock”, it is very simple to just buy a few cheap battery clocks and remove the hour hand then use the minute hand as your timer.

Fred Mills said:
Currently we DON"T use any clock during operations. Where we will use a "Fast Clock" will be when the passenger trains are running on a schedual.

As for a “Fast Clock”, it is very simple to just buy a few cheap battery clocks and remove the hour hand then use the minute hand as your timer.

Boy, I could have sworn you guys use a fast clock in Canada. Every year when we go to Canada, time goes by 3 times faster than at home. :wink:

Some people use a stopwatch when operating the “Timesaver” switching puzzle. I am so happy to just complete the assigned tasks, I don’t think I really need another challenge to add to the frustration.

If passenger trains go to “Time table Operations”, it will be a guarentee that the IPP&WRR is not modeling Amtrak.

Trust me…we sure aren’t modelling Amtrak…!!!