Forums Modeling O / On30
  • Topic: Interest ??

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 24, 2005 4:45 PM EST
      • Yuma, Arid-Zona

• Thanks

Hasn't been anything posted here in a long time ?
      I have been giving it some thought about running some On30 logging inside for the winter. One thing I know, I will not have a problem finding track as HO is plentiful.. I would like to do a logging operation so a Shay, Climax plus a Heiser would fit the bill and a bunch of logging cars.

Cheers,
    • November 24, 2005 5:21 PM EST
      • Floe Ice, Antarctica

• Thanks

I have too much going on for 0n30.
      However, I do have a new 0n30 Bachmann Shay available.
      E-mail me if you need one.

TOC
    • November 24, 2005 8:25 PM EST
      • Who Ya Gonna Call?, Ft Gay, WV

• Thanks

Yup....just so happens that I dusted my On30 stuff off this weekend and started planning for the winter season! On cold Dark evenings its nice to have an indoor layout! http://www.trainweb.org/wcng/On30/oscaleindex.html

• November 24, 2005 11:19 PM EST
      • Yuma, Arid-Zona

• Thanks

I have a waist high layout running around the back yard but cold rain etc makes an indoor layout look rather nifty. I have a loft in this house that could easy be made to handle a 20x30 size around the walls. Good thing that the stairs comes up in the middle so only one bridge will be needed to go over the gap that looks down into the living room.. On30 looks good but I suppose I could run G along the walls too. Decisions decisions..

Cheers,
    • November 25, 2005 10:05 AM EST

• Thanks

I run my On30 as a Compliment to my Large Scale not a Substitute.... The TF&E is considered another division of the same railroad. There is some intermingling of rolling stock, and each line has blocks on the roster for locomotives.....1-5 belong to the TF&E 6-10 the WV&K......
    • November 25, 2005 1:25 PM EST
      • Yuma, Arid-Zona

• Thanks

Bart

I have an interest in running On30 in the loft but the wife said why not the trains that I already have ? In looking it over, I guess I could do that but the live steam would have to be run outside as she doesn't the side effects of smelly oil and the fumes from burning fuel. Since I have the G Gauge Bachmann logging engines, I don't need large radius curves.
      Ponder time.....?????
      Cheers,
    • November 25, 2005 1:35 PM EST

• Thanks

Because you can never have too many trains? Wimmin folk just don't seem to understand that he who dies with the most toys WINS.......course you could temp her with something gold and sparkly.....works fer me!
    • November 25, 2005 6:25 PM EST
      • Southern Illinois

• Thanks

The test tracks for the KVRwy outside line were orignally built over the bench work of the old HO version of the KVRwy in the basement. A number of years ago the HO stuff was all painted flat black and turned into the "Always Faithful" mine. There's a story there, but we'll keep on subject for now. Anyway, the boys at the KVRwy like to dabble in small scale stuff and we have ride on On30 on the old HO tracks, for large scale people. This whole scene is the mine at Owl's Bend on the KVRwy and provides our revenue to keep those trains running to haul the tourists, that gives us the income to play with these trains. Tain't it a kick.

Daryll, have you seen Barry Boggs's indoor loft layout in Houston? You might show that to your wife and tell here you don't plan for anything quite that large.
      Smooth Sailing,
      Ric Golding
      Kaskaskia Valley Railway
      Carlyle, Illinois
    • November 25, 2005 6:45 PM EST
      • Yuma, Arid-Zona

• Thanks

Ric

The wife is trying to convince me to run G in the loft but it's still a toss up for now. She's probably right as I have enought logging engines to use both outside and in. Also I have plenty of G track still stored in the garage.

Cheers,
    • November 25, 2005 7:25 PM EST
      • Floe Ice, Antarctica

• Thanks

At the risk of being labelled a part of the "battery cult", there is always room for battery r/c, especially when it's too cold to get the steamers to transfer heat and when you want to run indoors.

I suppose if you turned off all the smoke detectors, killed tho CO monitor, and wore pressurized breathing apparatus, you could run it in your house.....

My big problem with cold weather live steam is getting the butane to vaporize properly......
    • November 25, 2005 8:45 PM EST
      • West Grove, Pennsylvania

• Thanks

I put together a cheap and dirty 0n30 layout in the garage to use as a switching layout..........about 10' long, goes nowhere, but it's somethin to play with in the winter....

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." --Martin Luther King Jr

• November 25, 2005 10:37 PM EST
      • Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario, Canada

• Thanks

....Dave....the guys around here use a "Butane/Propane" mix.....it seems to be better for colder weather.....

Fr.Fred
      Fr.Fred
    • November 26, 2005 12:10 AM EST
      • Floe Ice, Antarctica

• Thanks

That's what I use.
      But, ASTERs seem to be a little odd until the burner assembly itself warms up, or whatever.
    • November 26, 2005 5:50 AM EST
      • UK/Ontario/Oregon

• Thanks

A quick look over at the Bachmann [US] site on the recently-updated photo page showing the new 0n30 connie is enuff to make grown men weep in their soop. It is nothing less than the large-scale version scaled down, but with all the extra bits you could ever need to make your own version. What a real beauty it is!!
      And for less than half the price of anybody else's similar loco. I'm getting one to convert into the WP loaner, see if I don't, just for the love.

tac
      Ottawa Valley GRS [UK Branch]
    • November 26, 2005 1:40 PM EST

• Thanks

Yessirree!!!! That is a gorgeous locomotive! Too bad its too large for my layout!
    • November 26, 2005 1:43 PM EST

• Thanks

Wouldn;t surprise me if Tony W. was already working on an RC battery Job for an On30 tender loco! Just to capitalize onthe On30 boom!
    • December 14, 2005 10:21 PM EST
      • Floe Ice, Antarctica

• Thanks

Well, ya never know.

Hey, nobody interested in a Bach 0n30 Shay and a BLI Bumblebee 2-8-0?

TOC
    • December 15, 2005 6:48 PM EST
      • Yuma, Arid-Zona

• Thanks

Dave

I guess my thoughts about 0n30 will have to be just that at least for now.. Now if someone comes along with deal that I can not refuse like a layout that needs a new home or a bunch of stuff priced right, well till then.....

Cheers,
    • December 21, 2005 5:59 PM EST
      • Floe Ice, Antarctica

• Thanks

So, the classifieds isn't priced right?
    • December 21, 2005 8:27 PM EST
      • Yuma, Arid-Zona

• Thanks

Your prices are not too bad it's just to pry any cash out of me, you'll have to drop down to where I can't refuse.

Sometimes I feed on the bottom where the sweet stuff resides.

Say I have some things for trade like a 32inch TV... oh ! Thats going in the garage sale next month.

If you really need the space, eBay is the place...

Cheers,
Forums Modeling O / On30

Icon Legend

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google