Large Scale Central

Fly fishing

Hi guys. Just dropping in to see whats up and share why I have been inactive. I have been taking a break from trains and most everything else and have been spending some time fly fishing. Call it a much needed mental health break. The head has been feeling decent this summer so I decided to get back to fly fishing. N Idaho is home to two excellent “Blue Ribbon” Westslope Cutthroat trout rivers; the Coeur d’Alene and the St. Joe. Both are about an hour to an hour and a half from my front door to the upper reaches where the best fishing is. I grew up fishing these rivers and got away from it in favor of chasing pike and bass. But deep down in my soul, fly fishing for trout is what I love to do. It feels good to be back at it.

I have spent several weekends fishing remote stretches of each. Both rivers have sections that venture away from roads. This equates to less pressure and more eager fish. Also about 10 years or so ago, the Idaho Fish and Game set almost all rivers to catch and release for all Cutthroat trout for their entire lengths. They used to only do this in the upper portions. The result is the many more fish are there and many more fish are reaching maturity. I have been averaging fish in the 12-14 inch range and have caught several 16 to 18 inches on both rivers.

In particular I have spent most of my time on a 7 mile stretch of the N Fork of the CDA. There is a 14 mile stretch of river where there is no roads (except the road crosses it once about mid way) and the trail is way up on the hillside. Not many people fish it so the fish are not pressured like they are on lower reaches where the road runs along the river. I have been fishing the lower 7 miles of the 14 mile stretch. On one trip I was with my sister and I remarked at how I can’t believe its possible that I am allowed to live in such a place. Not only is the area full of fish, but it is beautiful as well. And in two trips on this 7 miles of river I saw one other person (not counting my sis). Its amazing that places still exist where you can fish such a quality river, in such a scenic place, by yourself and have it be in your backyard. I am blessed. So I thought I would share and make some of you jealous.

Probably one of the most spectacular parts of this river is the rock bluffs that line the entire canyon. And one formation in particular is just very cool. Cathedral Rocks is about 1/2 mile from the road along the river.

And here is the creek with the same name sake. Its cool because the creek pours over a rock ledge in spills out in various places.

I call this the “Cliff Hole” because it a deep hole with this rock cliff the entire length.

And here is an example of the trout I have been catching.

and one of the best parts is that my best buddy tags along. She loves it and really looks forward to it. She gets excited and has learned what its all about. She will sit up in the bushes and watch me while I fish and then when I catcha fish she runs down and “helps” me reel it in. She is a trooper and will walk the entire river with me.

Devon;

Fantastic views, and it looks like you are having good catches. I also love the photo of your buddy. Seems like you have had a lot of fun.

Best wishes, David Meashey

P.S. As part of the adoption agreement, my buddy has to stay indoors, but I suppose she would get pretty excited about catching fish.

I’m really jealous. Absolutely beautiful scenery. I’m glad to see you feeling well and enjoying the outdoors. Probably the best medicine one can get. Thanks for sharing your’s and Pepper’s adventures. I’m sure she had as much fun as you.

Beautiful shots Devon, thanks! And like Dan, I’m really jealous. And I don’t even fly fish.

Whats amazing to me is how many people live in my area and never experience what it has to offer. I grew up in these woods. I have been wandering them most all of my life. I never feel more at peace than when I am quiet in the presence of my Creator in these woods. I intend to spend a lot more time in them.

There is nothing like the outdoors when it’s dead quiet except for the sounds of nature. Glad you have had a great summer. It went by way too fast!

Hey!!! Wait a minute! On a popular social media site you kept saying this was in Iowa, I just booked a week in Iowa to fish this River! You have some splainin’ to do and I will be sending a hotel bill for reimbursement!

Yes yes you are right Pete it was Iowa. No need to change your plans. Iowa would love to have you.

Nice Cutthroat!

Back in the day My Dad and I used to fly fish in the central Idaho wilderness area. Now known as the Frank Church.

That was when Chinook Salmon made it to the upper tributaries of the Salmon River.Besides the fishing, there where numerous old mines.

John,

I have spent sometime down that way also. I want to get back down there and do some back country fishing in that neck of the woods.

What beautiful scenery! Nice looking pup too. What breed is he?

All I know about fly fishing is that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. :wink:

Ray Dunakin said:

What beautiful scenery! Nice looking pup too. What breed is he?

All I know about fly fishing is that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. :wink:

Ray, she is a blue heeler (Australian cattle dog). She is my best friend and that isn’t just a cliche. Other than work this dog goes with me everywhere I go. She is a tough little cookie and has taken some rough punishment on some of our adventures. But that is why I chose the breed. Small dog, with big dog attitude. Tough and durable. Agile. And very very owner loyal. These dogs were bred to run cattle in the wilds of the Australian outback. They were made to go anywhere, get the crap kicked out of them by livestock, defend the heard from the meanest of foes, and always be by the cowboys side without wandering off. Much the same qualities as the American version the border collie.

On our trips the rocks are hard on her, after seven miles of walking rocky river banks she gets pretty raw. But she that won’t stop her she is back at it the next day and pushes through. We have been stung by bald face hornets together after she bumped a nest. Our last trip had us basically rock climbing with me having to lift her onto rock ledges to get over a rock hump we needed to get over. When we spike camp (sleeping under the stars and cooking on camp fires) she is right by my side and curls up next to me in bed, no need to worry about her wandering off. She is just a cool dog that has as her singular purpose to be my buddy. This is only the second dog in my 51 years that I have bonded with like this. To say I love my little pepper is an understatement.

I gave up fly fishing cuz I could never get the fly to stay on the hook. I mean, once you swat it, there’s not much left…

(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

Cliff Jennings said:

I gave up fly fishing cuz I could never get the fly to stay on the hook. I mean, once you swat it, there’s not much left…

(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

You are doing it wrong Cliff. I lie to the flies. I tell them that I am introducing them to a friend and all they need to do is hold onto the hook. They are gullible and will do it if you use the right inflection in your voice.

Oh. And here I was using crazy glue… but I can tell ya that doesn’t work well on the squishy bits.

Sounds like you watched a fly whispering video? Naah, you were always good at counseling.

Cliff Jennings said:

Oh. And here I was using crazy glue… but I can tell ya that doesn’t work well on the squishy bits.

Sounds like you watched a fly whispering video? Naah, you were always good at counseling.

Isn’t that what counseling is. . .convincing someone else that you know more about how to make them happy than they do. And since flies live a very depressing life where the are born to eat s**t and only live a day or so, they are pretty easy to convince that there is something better waiting for them if they “just hang onto this hook”.

You’re really good, Dev.

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)