Large Scale Central

Wondercutter

Just ran across this in the latest Micro-Mark catalog, anyone familiar with it.

Looks like quite a tool and of course it has Micro-Mark’s traditional “quite a price”, but if it does what it says it will, hmmmm.

After reading the ad my first thought was "wonder how fast I could cut a finger off, Devon, don’t look at this ad

https://www.micromark.com/Wondercutter

Ohhh now that is interesting! but crazy on the price

Jason V. said:

Ohhh now that is interesting! but crazy on the price

Yea, but they have a lock on the product, for now.

Better order those kevlar gloves while you have your card out…it looks like that thing is dangerous!

I wonder how long the blades last, i am sure they work best when sharp.

Eric Schade said:

Better order those kevlar gloves while you have your card out…it looks like that thing is dangerous!

I wonder how long the blades last, i am sure they work best when sharp.

I bought a circle cutter that uses the same blade. Circle cutter is not powered. I recommend you buy a couple extra packs of blades if you decide to get this tool. And like others pricey but if it does what it claims…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Also you will need more cutting mats.

Look at the mat surface about midway in the video.

Dennis

Thanks Rick, very interesting!

Fwiw…

Just checked, and you can save the $27 MM shipping and get it from Home Depot or Amazon (prime) for the same price.

It’s about $385 direct from Wondercutter.com, but you prob have to add shipping (didn’t check); and they don’t have an https site, so might be risky… There are, however, a number of coupons apparently available, searching on “wondercutter coupon” to use on their checkout.

Being a modeler, I personally don’t see where the expense for this tool makes it use worth purchasing. I have more tools both for home use and hobby then I can use today, I really don’t need another tool just to put on the shelf. Modeling is a skill and I doubt a $300 tool will make you a better modeler. I personally don’t buy from Micro-Mark as I think there prices are high, I always try to look elsewhere for my modeling needs.

trainman

Biggest complaint I’ve heard is that it melts plastic.

Doc

I saw this and was interested until I saw the live demo at the Amherst show last year. I believe it’s better suited for the smaller scales as it seems to cut the thin materials well but the thicker stuff requires multiple passes and the plastic gets gooey. BTW: They sell them at Home Depot now. I had a chance to buy a returned one for $280 and passed.

Interesting, but hardly “A Micro-Mark exclusive.” They’re available a bunch of places, but the price is nutty.

I don’t need that thing. I’m my own “wonder cutter” especially first thing in the morning in the dead of winter while waiting for my shop to heat up drinking coffee.

Maybe the price is a Micro-Mark exclusive?

I’ve used a WondercutterS for a year now. Besides Micro-Mark, they’re also sold at HomeDepot and Amazon. When I bought mine in December 2020, they were offering 10% off all purchases plus free shipping so saved a little money compared to the other two sources. I use mine WonderCutter for making small quick cuts on LGB locomotive DCC sound decoder installations I do for customers. Makes no mess like cutting with my Dremel does on the LGB plastic. You do have to be careful, however, since the cutting blade gets hot and can start melting the plastic, so you don’t want to leave the blade in the cutting spot too long.