Large Scale Central

Testing Amperage of LGB Gearbox Motor

Hi LGB Motor Experts - I installed a new motor into the front gearbox of a customer’s LGB 2040 Crocodile Locomotive since it was operating much slower than the rear gearbox motor. With only one gearbox opearating each time, I Fluke 117 tested the amps running the locomotive positioned on my roller wheels test stand. Both the new motor in the front gearbox and the existing motor in the rear gearbox produced .3 - .4 amps (300 - 400 ma) at 5 - 20 volts DC. My conclusion: The rear gearbox motor is drawing about the same amps load as the new motor in the front gearbox, so there’s no need to replace it in these painful clam shell motor blocks. Do you come to the same conclusion?

I feel your test are probably correct as I have never tested the LGB motors under a free wheeling conditions. I have always read that under load conditions they draw around 1-1 1/2 amps per motor, but I have never tested this either, just what I read on the forums. I do know that after I installed RailPro battery power in an LGB Alco with 6 wheel trucks one set of trucks will start at a lower voltage then the other, I do find this works well and it gives the locomotive a smoother start and the engine does not jump start as one has a little drag against the other.

trainman