Large Scale Central

Todd H Mik 2021 Build

After planning and measuring and measuring again I have come up with a plan for the Mik 2021 build challenge. I will be replacing an aging and rotting factory building, that has already been rebuilt once, on my RR with a larger facility. It is ambitious with 2 towers and a connecting corridor above 2 tracks. The required tin can (soup in this case) will be prominent on the smaller portion and used as a fuel tank.

Last Spring I rebuilt my 2 bay engine house, a Mik project where we all used a Taylor door, and I used plastic sheet for siding. The plastic was ripped on my dado blade to make it look like clapboard siding. I’m thinking about doing the same for this factory build but I might not have enough. A 2x4 sheet is $25. I have one plus some bits so this build might use wood siding as well which I have plenty of. There is still more figuring to do on that before the starting gun fires.

Here is my napkin sketch.

Looks like quite a unique building Todd. What kind of factory is it?

I like it. You may proceed

Todd, That drawing has the same look of very old California Missions. Jus what I see…

Dave T.

Dan Hilyer said:

Looks like quite a unique building Todd. What kind of factory is it?

The factory that this one will be replacing was the first industry on the RR. I called it “China” because everything was built there so all sorts of rolling stock had a reason to go there. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

This one will also be non specific but built more to fit in the space than to replicate anything specific.

I’m DONE! I have decided to embrace minimalism with this build and here it is. You can see the tin can. LOL

The weekend saw piles of sawdust created after measuring, planning and more measuring was finalized and the nail gun fired up. Boy this thing got BIG! It got so big in fact that I have given up on the original plan of using the plastic Azec sheet for siding. I have a 2’x4’ piece but to clad this in clapboard I would need 2 more pieces and that would blow the budget. I will instead use 1/8x3/4 pine strips.

Today I tested the structure on site. The old track arrangement will have to be rearranged but I like it. The tower tops came from 2 old porch lights. One was on the original building on this site. There will be a 3" wide dock and the roof sections will be at a 30 degree angle. There are still so many decisions to be made such as windows. I’m thinking about cutting holes in the siding once it is on, gluing a piece of plexi from behind, gluing hardware clothe to it then adding a frame around it. This would be the easiest approach I think.

I like it Todd. I now realize I am no longer a procrastinating I am just a minimalist.

After the test fitting outdoors the pieces were brought back to the shop where a plastic wood foundation was attached as a moisture barrier. The idea is to keep water from wicking up from the ground and causing the wood to rot out.

Devon Sinsley said:

I like it Todd. I now realize I am no longer a procrastinating I am just a minimalist.

Yep. There you go, you are a minimalist. Why clutter up a good project with details. We don’t need no stinking details!

The tower toppers are perfect!

Wow, that IS a huge structure.

The build has been moving along and piles of sawdust have been created in ripping the siding. I am just about out of wood that I had stocked up. So far almost 3 1x5x8’s have gone into this and I’m out of pin nails too!

Here is how it stands now. I will close it all in and then cut out the window openings.

Wow, your cooking on that thing, looks great!!

This is gonna be cool. I am digging it.

WOW… That just might be the physically biggest Mik build ever… I can’t remember anything larger…

Dave T.

Dave i think Taylor Tin used to hold that title. But this dwarfs Taylor Tin

Ok Todd, you can take a break once in a while, you are making us look bad!!! You do know you don’t have to work 24/7 until the 9th of February. You are making the rest of us look really bad!!!

Nice work , that is one great looking structure.

Pete Lassen said:

…You do know you don’t have to work 24/7 until the 9th of February…

Considering, I’d say he does!!

Shaping up to be a more than adequate replacement for the worn-down factory. Nice.

Thanks guys. It is getting BIG but I wanted a sprawling factory. I’m thinking about cutting off a piece of the old factory and attaching it on the back corner which would increase its footprint again! The more I think about it a factory like this would have a flat roof but since we get rain and snow it needs to be pitched. The first had a 45 degree but I have been putting 30 degree on recent builds. I cut pieces to test a 20 degree pitch and that looks good.

The build is coming together quickly but I have more time to work on it due to covid putting us nearly out of business and in years past we were either coming or going on a trip around this time. Last year I was renovating a house 60 miles from home and I stayed there only coming home on the weekends. My tools were there so I had to rip wood and bring it and my nail gun home. This year it is full speed ahead! (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-sealed.gif)

Update. Wow I have ripped a lot of 1x5 pine. The tally is up to approx. 36’ that has gone into this. The planking is all done but there is still the roof supports to do. I have been cutting in the windows and built a jig to ensure they are all the same. In the past I would build the frame of a building and plan on where the windows would go and then plank to them but with this new approach (new to me) had me plank the entire building then cut the windows and doors. I think it is easier especially when so many openings are needed.

Here is the jig. The file is used to square the corners. I’m using hardware clothe for the mullions and they will be painted the same as the trim colour that I have not decided on yet. There will be plexi behind and a trim surround.

There are still so many decisions to be made and building to do. I’m considering doing a more modern roll up style door (non functional) for the loading docks. I will need 5 in total and I’m kicking aruond some ideas on how to do them.