Large Scale Central

Spectrum 2-8-0 Fn3 gearbox issues

i am hoping that someone can help provide info needed to get my locos back up and running. I have 3 Bachmann Spectrum Fn3 2-8-0’s that all have the same issue. All three has one of the two tear idler gears broken. its the one that has the small gear on top of the large gear.

The small gear part has broken apart from the large part. has anyone had this same issue. it seems that bachmann has an ongoing issue with gears. The last engine that developed this issue was used to pull only 2 Accucraft passenger cars so it didnt pull too heavy of loads. The other two only pulled a max of 8 accucraft and Spectrum freight cars. These are just idler gears so they should not have a lot of stress on them. Has anyone replaced these gears with brass ones and if so, where did you get them. i has been looking for replacements other than the almost impossible to get replacement gears from Bachmann.

i have even considered replacing the whole gearbox assembly with the C-19 gearbox and motor assembly.

Dan Stuettgen

Colorado & Rio Grande Southern

HTTP://www.danstrains.net

Dan,

First I need to confirm that the gear you are referring to is a compound gear, a small gear integral with a larger gear. If I understand you correctly it would be part 0AY01 in the Bachmann breakdown here https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/81294.pdf. If that is the case your options are few. You have already covered Option 1, contacting Bachmann.

Option 2 - Clean up the (hopefully) only two pieces of the existing gear, glue them back together and epoxy cast a new one. Keeping the mold so future issues can be dealt with.

Option 3 - Find one for parts that has the main axle gear broken and you can salvage other parts for the gearbox,

Option 4 - Contact either W.M. Berg https://www.wmberg.com/ or Stock Drive Products/Sterling Instruments https://sdp-si.com/ and see if they can identify the two gears in question, purchase two individual gears from them, Silver solder the gears together and re-machine the bore to suit. This will not be a cheap option, but will be a permanent one.

Option 5 - Looking at the parts breakdown pages for the Connie and the C19 I don’t believe replacing the Connie gearbox with the C19 is doable. The Connie motor mounts vertical where as the C19 mounts horizontal akin the the K27. Looking at the axle ends, they show similar in the exploded views, but sizing may or may not be the same. The bearing that the axle rides in is shown being different, but again sizing and mounting on the axle is indeterminate.

I have not heard of that gear failing before. Usually it is the axle gear that fails, order a axle from Bachmann or a new gear from NWSL and in short order you are back up an running. As for pulling Accucraft cars, they are HEAVY relative to other brands, and the rolling resistance is proportionately higher. One Accucraft passenger car is like pulling multiple Bachmann passenger cars.

My thoughts on your dilemma. Good luck Dan.

Dan

There are three gears in the Bachmann outside frame 2-8-0

One of these is currently out of stock.

While I have had one of the other gears fail I have never had this one fail.

The other two are still in stock

When replacing any of these gears I normally also replace all three.

If you can not repair yours I likely have a used one still around if you need it.

Hope this helps

Stan

Since we never know how new locomotives are going to holdup under running conditions, I think I would give some consideration to purchasing extra gears and even a motor or two just for repair parts on hand. This way you protect yourself from dealers being out of stock, or even that not available anymore from the manufactures.

trainman

@Stan - To be clear on your post, the top picture is of a large worm gear with a smaller spur gear, and this is the one that is out of stock. Both of the other gears appear to be straight spur gears. The top gear is the 0AY01 I stated in my post above.

From my work fixing the 2-6-0, I think the gear you have a problem with is this one?

This thread has a lot of research in to the similarities between the 2-6-0/4-4-0 and the 2-8-0 gears:

http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/29767/a-different-spectrum-4-4-0-gear-problem/view/post_id/392637

Anyway, Dan, if your gear is the first one under the worm, then Jiro Yeramian has them.

Dan,

Let me look in my parts box and see what I have. my Connie gearbox failed early on and was able to do the Barry drive. I think it was one of the intermediate gears as well.

as for replacing with the C-19 gearbox if it fits it would be the way to go. you will need to purchase the gear from stock drive products (Bachman never sold separately from the chassis), but last I knew the motor/gearbox and cover plate were available on the Bachman site.

Al P.

Bob Cope said:

@Stan - To be clear on your post, the top picture is of a large worm gear with a smaller spur gear, and this is the one that is out of stock. Both of the other gears appear to be straight spur gears. The top gear is the 0AY01 I stated in my post above.

Bob

In the 2-8-0 there are two gears that have both a larger and smaller gear in them and one gear that is a single gear. Its a little hard to see in the photos. From, Dans description I am not totally sure which one of these double gears is broken.

Pete has indicated that the out of stoc one can be obtained from Jiro, the other Bachmann has in stock.

Once Dan has confirmed which gear is damaged I am sure between all of us we can find a solution. It is strange that all three have seperated in his locomotives.

Stan

Guys thanks for your input on this. Stan it is the second gear that you posted and not the one that the worm gear meshes with. Bob: unfortunately the smaller gear part is the broken part and is in three pieces and one is missing so I cant glue it back together and then make a mold of it. I have going to measure it and count the number of teeth for both parts and see if I can get them from Stock Drive Products or Berg or some other suppler in brass and then silver solder them together. if I do find the correct size, I will get enough to make 12 gears so I will have them for the future if needed. I will also replace all the other gears in the gearbox with brass gears as well if I can match them. The is the first time that I had gearbox gears fail like this. I have already replaced the axle gears on the Connie’s as well as my 2-6-0’s and 4-4-0’s as al of them had cracked. I replaced them with NWSL 2225-6 gears. Stan: I saw that the gears are on Bachmanns website. I will try and order some and hopefully they will have them in stock and can get them. I need to order some other Connie parts anyway, so with any luck by the first of the year I will have all three Connies back up and running.

Dan Stuettgen

Http://www.danstrains.net

Dan

Bachmann has this gear in stock

https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69_142&products_id=537

One extra note

The NWSL axle gear is much narrower then the stock bachmann gear. To ensure you do not damage other gears in the gear box it is important to shim the axle gear on both sides so that the gears line up porperly.

Hope this helps

Stan

I just converted my 2-8-0 over today from the original motor and gearbox to the Bachmann C-19 motor and gearbox. Took a little finagling but I got it to work perfectly. Biggest issue was the axle with the brass gear on it to match the new bigger brass gear. I ended up grinding down and filing the original gear to accept the new ones wider hole. Then soldered them together as one.

Jason

Jason, can you share some pictures?

AL P.

Since I do not have these Bachmann engines (2-8-0) at this time, which engines are you talking about, the K-27’s, C-19’s, or some other earlier produced engines. thanks, trainman

John Lenheiser said:

Since I do not have these Bachmann engines (2-8-0) at this time, which engines are you talking about, the K-27’s, C-19’s, or some other earlier produced engines. thanks, trainman

John

Starting with the K27 Bachmann significantly improved both its gear boxes and the motor used.

The locomotive Dan is referring to is an outside frame 2-8-0 manufacturered in the early 2000s. Due to axle gear problems with this locomotive they produced a brass aske gear for the locomotive. The motor and other gears have not been upgraded.

Hope that helps

Stan

Dan,

Finally got to my parts box. I have the same gear broken as you. if the parts shown below can help you they are yours for the postage. the main gear that goes on the axle is split in several places at the hole, so may not have a lot of life left.

(https://www.largescalecentral.com/FileSharing/user_2560/for%20sale%20items/20201224_114331.jpg)

Other than dirt the other two gears are fine.

AL P.

Axle

Al Pomeroy said:

Jason, can you share some pictures?

AL P.

Stanley Ames said:

Dan

Bachmann has this gear in stock

https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69_142&products_id=537

I usually get parts in about a week - except at Christmas, of course.

I would also suggest the Jiro Yeramian can probably make a replacement for that gear in Delrin.

Axles

Sorry Guys for not responding sooner, have been busy with my laser cutter making Xmas gifts. Al: that is the same gear that I have broken in all three of my Bachmann Spectrum 1:20.3 2-8-0’s. I have been trying to Purchase some replacements from Bachmann along with some other parts that I need, but its been quite awhile since I ordered anything from them, I cant remember my password. I have try 5 times to get them to send me the rest link so I can log in and place my order. But there seems to be something wrong with their website as no matter how many times I click on the reset password link, I never get a response from them. I might have to wait until after xmas and call them to place the order.

Jason: Is that last photo you posted the Gearbox and motor for the C-19 mounted in the old 2-8-0 Connie Chassis. If so how much fiddling did and mods did it take to get it to fit and did you have to change out the Axle gear to make it work? I noticed that Bachmann has the C-19 motor and gearbox assembly available in their parts dept for $66.00. I thing that a good price for it and might buy 2 and convert one of the Connie’s to use it and save the other for a replacement for the C-19 I have in case I need it for a future repair.

I hope everyone has a Great Holiday season and keep those trains rolling.

Dan Stuettgen

http://www.danstrains.net

Jason V. said:

I just converted my 2-8-0 over today from the original motor and gearbox to the Bachmann C-19 motor and gearbox. Took a little finagling but I got it to work perfectly. Biggest issue was the axle with the brass gear on it to match the new bigger brass gear. I ended up grinding down and filing the original gear to accept the new ones wider hole. Then soldered them together as one.

Jason

Yes it is the C-19 motor and gear box but it’s from a busted c-19 chassis I have. This was the most fiddling to do was the gear. It’s a different inside diameter compared to the shaft of the replacement axle gear setup. I know that there is probably an easier solution but this was the route I took. And It has been done before I’m pretty sure. But to keep the original replacement axle I choose this way.