Large Scale Central

Speaker Test

Another fun project. I’ve been using Radio Shack mini-speakers in by recent builds, but they seem to be out-of-stock. So I poked around on my favorite chinese shopping site, Aliexpress, and found a bunch of small speakers. Most seem to be for laptops and computers, and I ordered some designed to plug in to your phone - I’m really after the enclosure to help with the sound.

Anyway, the first batch arrived from a company called Ghxamp. A pair of 2"/50mm, a pair of 1"/23mm and a pair of rectangular speakers advertised for a laptop. Prices for each pair were $2.50 to $4 - the whole order was less than $10. For your entertainment, here’s a video of these 3 types, plus the original Radio Shack speaker (first). The sound card is a Mylocosound Lite Diesel with a klaxon horn.

I was quite impressed with the rectangular speaker. The size is great for a loco (34.8mm11.2mm6.0mm). The small 23mm one was very quiet. And note that the RS (first) speaker is in an enclosure, so it should sound better. I’m thinking of using the 2" speaker in my next boxcab build.

Pete, your video sure does show how a good speaker can make sounds so much more realistic. It really is worth spending a little bit more on the right speaker. The first (RS) and last speakers in your video sound very unsuitable. To get the best sound you need an 8 ohm speaker with:

• A 3 watt output to get maximum volume (I suspect that your rectangular speaker is only 1 watt)
  • A resonant frequency below 350 Hz. This will give you the deepest bass sound for engines, horns, etc.
  • An airtight box on the back of the speaker to maximize bass sounds and volume. A spray paint can top will do the job on 2" speakers.

Del Tapparo at G Scale Graphics, our US distributor, can supply great speakers.

Regards

Peter Lucas

MyLocoSound

I don’t think you can post on this forum and expect good sound results from a video, this site is not equipped for quality sound, as most aren’t, it just the way things are. There nothing like hearing it live, or on Memorex.

trainman

your video sure does show how a good speaker can make sounds so much more realistic.

Peter, you are absolutely correct. I had a big 2.5" speaker with a huge magnet from Jonathan at EMW in the firebox of my RYM EBT #15 mikado, It sounded great. But I won’t be able to squeeze that kind of speaker in a small live steamer or a small boxcab.

I am actually targeting the MRW single-sound modules that RCS is selling for live steam. The small speakers do a good job on the one-tone high-pitched “Lyn” whistle. Especially if you have a baffle box.

There nothing like hearing it live

John, I was merely trying to compare the speakers. Clearly none of them are Hi-Fi and my phone is not the best way to record them.

(You reminded me of this ad which was for Maxell tape, I think.)

Speaker sound can be improved by baffling the rear and adding a sponge like material. I have just used small cups glued over the LGB sound car speakers and found a big sound improvement, esp bass sounds.

I actually made a speaker enclosure many years ago just using a large diameter piece of shrink tubing. The speaker would just fit the the inside diameter.

It worked very well to improve the sound quality and amplitude.

Dennnis