Large Scale Central

Converting to Battery Power

I am new here and I have looked through the forums and if this question has been answered I coouldn’t find it. I have a Bachmann 4-6-0 Anniversary that I want to convert to battery and remote. I have bought the remote system from Remote Controls systems in Austrailia.https://www.rcs-rc.com/pages/battery-r/c/evo-package-deals I am buying the dual system so I can expand later. I need help figuring out what battery to buy. When I went to Hobbytown website it did not take long to figure out there are a lot more choices than I have knowledge for. I want to mount the battery in the tender and charge it in place. I know if I have to take the tender apart to charge it something is going to break sooner or later. Should I go 14.8 volts or 15.2 or 22.2? Lipo or graphene? I really don’t have any idea what they are talking about LOL. Please someone help a total newbee. Thanks

I have been looking at battery power, but have only looked at AirWire and RailPro systems, both are very good systems from what I have read and can find out. I’m not too familiar with the Remote Controls systems in Australia, but I’m sure they are equal in value and performance. AirWire sells batteries and if I’m not mistaken they are both around 14.8 volts, difference is size and power range. AirWire also sells charging harness and most just install a plug in the rear, or bottom of the tender, it will also require a switch DPDT? to change from charge mode to run engine mode. AirWire website (CVP) has great information and pics on installs of their equipment, but you can just put yours in place of there’s and read between the lines. Here is their website, http://www.cvpusa.com/index.php just go to Battery Systems and then to the Document Center, you will find all the reading there that should help you. I feel others on this forum are much more knowledgeable them me, I just know enough to be dangerous, but you have to start somewhere.

trainman

Hi John from Kingston,

I am Don Sweet and was the east cost distributor for RCS for over 15 years. My business name is RCS of New England. Give me a call at 603-321-1347 for compatible batteries , charges and the battery install kit. Here is my web site where you can view the batteries. www.rcsofne.com.

For your Bachmann 4-6-0 the 14.8V lithium battery will yield 3 hour of runtime.

Don

John (Kingston) - I don’t recommend going any higher than 18.0 volts for a battery back. Most of the motive power you buy will be rated for 20 volts or less. Typically Bachmann uses a 19 volt motor. I personally would not recommend Lipo or Graphene batteries, they are not ‘proven’ in our service. I would recommend a Lithion Ion type. As for mounting, in tender mounting is a good option. You will need to purchase the proper charger for the battery pack you purchase, a plug/socket pair for the connection and a DPDT (double pole double throw) switch to change from charge mode to run mode. Being as you have already purchase the RCS radio, I would suggest getting in touch with Don Sweet at RCX of New England https://rcsofne.com/.

John (Fort Worth) - I can speak for AirWire, I have that system in one of my K27s, and it is a very good system. Mine is the older G2 receiver, but still works great. I am not familiar with RCS or Rail Pro, but the forums folks seem to like them. As for batteries, the AirWire will handle an 18.0 volt battery pack fine, that is how mind is set up. I can usually get 3*4 hours of continuous running on mine. One thing to be aware of is that AirWire is BATTERY POWER ONLY system. There is no internal bridge rectifier to allow it to be track powered. I extensively modified my K27 so it can rune either track power or battery.

Another system to consider (if you have not already made your purchase) is the Revolution Train Engineer system https://rcsofne.com/. This is the company that manufactured the Revolution system for Aristo Craft. In the Bachmann 10 Wheeler it will not be a drop in system, but there are lots of folks here on the forum that will help walk you through an installation. The advantage of the Revolution is that is DOES have the internal rectifier to allow track power. Just something to think about.

Hello John.

Welcome to LSC.

Although I stock, sell and use Li-Ion batteries they do cost a lot to ship overseas, so I recommend purchasing your requirements from where you are located.

You can use pretty well any type of battery in the Bachmann 4-6-0. The “Anniversary” loco is light, cannot pull too much but is a good runner and very reliable. So I tend to use the low cost ENELOOP AA hybrid batteries, usually in packs of 12 cells or 3 x 4 cell packs wired in series. That type of battery should give at least 2 hours run time.

A 4s Li-Ion pack (14.8 volts) is an ideal voltage. No matter which type of cells you choose it is ideal to leave them in situ for charging.

To that end I offer installation kits that feature external charging. Instruction pdf for the BACHMANN # BIK-ANNIE kit.

Unfortunately with the current Pandemic situation, High Postal charges make it very expensive to ship anything anywhere.

Hi John,

Being new to battery/RC can be very confusing, heck, I have been doing it for years and am still confused(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif).

My expierence is with; AirWire, Revolution, and RCS. All really good systems but with different levels of technicality. For me I like to just run trains in the simplest way possible, not spend a lot of time programing, tinkering and tweaking. I might suggest starting with a simple, easy system and learn from there.

For Batteries; Li-Ion is the proven tech, buy good ones!!! Good battery packs are only a few dollars more than the less reliable ones. Also a good smart charger is a must, again not that expensive in the long run. The last thing about batteries, in my opinion, is you don’t have to go crazy with power, especially for an Annie. 14.8 volt is plenty large enough and 3-4 K amp hours is more than enough run time for most of us.

Last thing; your not going to go wrong dealing with Tony or Don Sweet period!! They both offer very good products, stand behind their sales and the after sale self install help is over the top.

Good luck with your project.

Rick