Large Scale Central

New power on the BRR

after convincing the CFO/SHMBO? CINCHOUSE (the wife) that locomotives really get lonely, and using one all the time will wear it out, a purchase order was issued for a suitable stablemate to good old UP 2062, and a couple of weeks ago a deal was found and a USA Trains F3 AB set in Santa Fe warbonnet was purchased. The gentleman selling it tested it on rollers after I had completed the purchase, and noticed a wobbly wheel so he offered to refund all or ship it with a partial refund

I chose to do a partial refund and this set is now mine.

My dad got a Lionel set , AA , not AB, and due to a rather unfair bequeath,( first male grandson, I had 2 girls, my brother had 2 boys,) my brother has that set, so when it arrived I ordered new axles from RLD Hobbies and after testing them almost all the axles had cracked gears. so I watched Ted Doskaris’s vignettes on replacing axles and in a couple of hours I had everything back together and running. New grease, new axles , no traction tires anymore, except I think 1 axle on each unit. I also built aout of necessity a cradle to do the work on

Nice find, Pete! Hats off to the seller, too, for his offers to you.

As an aside, the picture prompted the following exchange:

• Kid-zilla: We should get one like that.
  • Me: It’s too big.
  • Kid-zilla: No, it has the same types of tracks we have!

You try and explain curve radius to a four year old!

Eric

USAT will work on 4’ radius or 8’ diameter, but I think your RR has tighter curves

edited to say According to USAT website they can take 5’ diameter curves, one Kidzilla May get one in the future!

My wallet is breathing a sigh or relief, as, indeed, our curves are almost all 2 ft radius! I’ll distract Kid-zilla with a flashy add of something that might actually work on the Triple O!

Look for a eggliner they have them with the warbonnet paint scheme. I will help you spend money you don’t have

And now in a surprise development, a Canadian National GP 38-2 is also on the way and should be at my home later today. I Love that my wife supports my hobby and usually doesn’t mind when I buy things. Also a couple of USA 42’tank cars are in the works ( shh I have not told her about this deal yet) . I might have pushed the boundaries!

It arrived and appears to be in good condition, judging by the pictures the boss sent. I left town the morning is was coming so I have not seen it yet, the CFO said it’s ok, but not blue , otherwise it would be “cute”!!!

I am using this article as a vehicle to ask a question that has me stumped. The B & O Railroad Museum in Baltimore, MD. I guess tell me that they leave their locomotives and railroad cars outside year around. I know that large scale is made to be run outside, but this is the first time I have heard about leaving them outside year round. I would have thought being outside in the elements would damage the electric motors. What am I missing? The electric motors in well pumps are in an enclosure to protect from the elements even though they are out in the fields.

The B & O Railroad Museum in Baltimore, MD. I guess tell me that they leave their locomotives and railroad cars outside year around.

Ron, I was a docent there for years before the roof collapse, and I assume you are referring to the garden railroad layout in the center of the yard? [They leave some of their 1:1 full size locos out all year, as they have nowhere else to store them. The restored units are usually indoors.] If you look closely at the garden layout, there is a shed/enclosure/tunnel in the middle of the two loops. My understanding is that the rolling stock was stopped in the tunnel when not in use. But things may have changed.

I would have thought being outside in the elements would damage the electric motors. What am I missing?

Many of our locos have totally enclosed motors, inside moulded plastic bodywork. Some folk do leave them outside all year round.

I just recently saw a picture of their layout in the snow. From what I could tell the items left outside looked to be rather spent. There was a re-lettered Aristo U25B, a very faded sd45, an 0-4-0 with tender, and a few other battered bits. My guess is these are retired models just left out for display made to look like rolling stock heading into the restoration shops.

Good to know that there’s another Diesel fan on this board.

We are out there. Mine won the competition for railroads that primarily run diesel power and was featured in the 30th Anniversery Edition.

Michael Kirrene said:

Good to know that there’s another Diesel fan on this board.

Well, I’m a steam guy, but after visiting Andy’s layout, I suspect that you just HAVE to be a diesel fan. Or, perhaps, I just love trains? (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

I noticed I never posted a picture of the CN locomotive. I just picked up a dynamic brake blister for it as I like the look with them, as soon as decide if I am going to completely repaint or leave as is I will add it .

I am also the proud owner of one of Steve FeatherKiles Aristo dash 9 locomotives, Its battery power and I will be converting it to RailPro sometime this winter( I hope)

oops wrong picture, try this one

do not know what I did or didnt do, but here is the proper picture

I’m not a fan of those rolling water heater things, I grew up watching SF warbonnets and then SP locomotives, that’s about all I know. Those huffy chuffy things I don’t get! LOL