Large Scale Central

Turnout control for LGB motors

My plan is to have my outdoor layout run automatically with loco magnets and LGB 1201 switch motors on the turnouts. Im looking for the best/easier way to control them and I was thinking of the 5075 control boxes. I’m sure there’s other ways and would like to hear suggestions. I understand that the motors can be problematic at times along with track power but I still want to go that way. I have many of the 1701 track contacts plus will use other prox switches mounted on small poles on the sides of the track (magnets on the loco sides)that will also trigger different turnouts which will allow the passenger train routes to differ from the freight train routes. The 1201s will have aux contacts to power different tracks also. If the 5075 boxes will be an easier way to go, I’ll be looking for some if anyone has some they’d like to sell.

II hope that you recognize that the control boxes are little more than switches and the “booster” is a capacitor. It is cheaper, and nicer, to do a diagram of your layout and just put the switches on the diagram.

BTW, track power provides the easiest way to operate multiple trains and let them interact. That’s what I do, but I developed my own circuits using 555 timing chips and relays.

Very nice layout Todd. I’m a very, very long way from being there but starting to get my ducks in a row. Where can I find info on wiring up the switches with a capacitor and all other needed electronics? I’m very capable of doing the wiring,just need some guidance.

Here is a good place to start:

http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips.html

TED, download this manual: LGB 559 PDF

Lots of info on the LGB EPL system and just remember the 1203 is now the 12070.

Also I have the LGB switch boxes and the track reed sensors, call me any day (including Sunday).

as Todd wrote, the boxes are mere switches, that need a operating finger present.

automated systems using the LGB - epl system need only a AC source, the switch-motors and the reed-contacts.

(if it gets a little more complicated, add some of the add on switches for the switch-motors)

for a basic understanding of how that works, read the LGB manual (a .pdf) chapter taking control.

if you don’t find it anywhere else you can download it here: http://kormsen.info/lgb-manual.pdf

i have made some interesting automatic schedules using the epl-system.

the weak part are the 1701 reed-contacts. they tend to burn shut after a while.

you can build your own replacements, use always two reeds for the same function, or, if you ask nicely, let Todd explain his “BUMPASS” system replacing the reed-contacts by rail-contacts.

some tests showed me, the idea with the sideways contacts works. but you will need very strong magnets for the greater distance needed. (nd well anchored posts, that do not bend towards the train. i used magnets scavenged from old computer harddisks)

btw: the link, Todd gave you is one of the most complete no-BS colections of largescale wisdom i ever saw.