Large Scale Central

LGB Coaches -- Screw Size for Light Fixture Mounts

Aloha All,

Does anybody know off-hand what screws I should get to mount homemade light fixtures into our LGB coaches? I had an LGB light kit, but the hardware store was loathe to make a recommendation that could lead to me gouging out the fixtures in the process of mounting our light strips.

For the record, we are using Bill Barnwell’s had suggested copper tape, strips of styrene, and a battery clips for the strips. The idea works great, especially after the recommendation, and discovery of the magical substance known as “flux” has made soldering a snap! The lights hang - or really droop - from the overhead, partially wedged in place by the celestory inserts and / or interior bulkheads.

Thanks,

Eric

Trainli has a screw kit with various screw sizes. The chinese 2-4-0 uses different screws than all the other LGB products, these 2-4-0 screws are not magnetic.

I use LED’s in all my engines and passenger cars these days, you can just run two small stiff wires #22-#30 wires side by side the length of the car and solder on the LED’s to the wires, thus they can run closer to the top of the car and not hang down as the LGB old style lights do, plus LED’s will not be affected by voltage from the track and don’t run hot. I personally have gone to 9v battery in each car and run 12v LED’s which will give a softer light and the 9v battery will probably last the life of the car under normal running conditions. LED’S may sound like a lot of work, but it’s so simple and you just have to pay attention to the polarity on the wiring and the LED’s, they only work in one direction of polarity. LED’s are the best thing since sliced bread.

trainman

“LED’s are the best thing since sliced bread.”

“What was the best thing BEFORE sliced bread?”, George Carlin

Sorry, couldn’t resist, David Meashey

Dave Meashey said:

“LED’s are the best thing since sliced bread.”

“What was the best thing BEFORE sliced bread?”, George Carlin

Sorry, couldn’t resist, David Meashey

Was it women without strings attached.

trainman

Thanks, everyone! Bill, I forgot you had mentioned that screw size. Dan, that TrainLi package probably makes a sensical buy out here on the far end of the supply line! I’ll add it to my fall “strategic parts purchase.”

As for LEDs, once Bill got me over my fear of DIY and a few good natured pokes from others got me to take on Soldering Iron (an ally of the dreaded Jig Saw), I really got to appreciate these things. I’ve had no luck with solar lights, but these LEDs and that copper tape offer some intriguing possibilities! In the meantime, here are the results of what the boys and I put together yesterday:

It is really cool as the train passes Lake Inferior. The video doesn’t do it justice, but you can just make out the lights reflecting off the water;

Video: Crummy Attempt to Capture Light from Coach Windows Reflecting off the Water

Now to find those screws!

Eric

P.S. John, I have a hundred pack of these LEDs to get through! I am looking for some sort of quick disconnect I can use, similar to the old LGB ones, so I could put one battery in, say, the combine, and power the whole string.