Large Scale Central

Memorial Day Pearl Harbor Consist

Tommy

RioGracie

Nice consist Tommy(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Really nice! Interesting factoid, a good bit of 3’ gage stuff from the Mainland ended up out here supporting the War effort. Mostly bought from scrappers, original owners included the D&RGW, Colorado & Southern, Southern Pacific Narrow Gauge, Nevada County Narrow Gauge, Florence & Cripple Creek, and Pacific Coast Railway. A Baldwin 0-6-0 had served the Nevada-California-Oregon, Southern Pacific, and Nevada Narrow Gauge before wearing OR&L colors under lease for the War (Source: Oahu’s Narrow-Guage Navy Rail, Jeff Livingston, Arcadia Publishing, 2014). The War broke the OR&L’s back, and this equipment from a dying age of American rail went down to the scrappers only after hauling the men and material part of the way from Honolulu to Tokyo Bay.

Deleted to remove a duplicate post.

Interesting factoid, a good bit of 3’ gage stuff from the Mainland ended up out here supporting the War effort. Mostly bought from scrappers, original owners included the D&RGW, Colorado & Southern, Southern Pacific Narrow Gauge, Nevada County Narrow Gauge, Florence & Cripple Creek, and Pacific Coast Railway.

Eric, how could you have missed my favorite RR, the East Broad Top. Most of their coaches ended up in Hawaii, and all were scrapped after the war. [Does the book have any mention of them?]

We do have some info though - an EBT fan happened upon the scrap line shortly after the war and his photos were published in the Friends of the EBT house mag. I made a model of #12 using this as inspiration:

Pete,

Sorry for the oversight! The book does not mention the EBT, unfortunately. I had wondered about that, though, and that photo is a remarkable find. Now, of course, you’ve given me an excuse to find / make / 'bash and run EBT rolling stock! The more I study the OR&L and the plantation lines, the more fascinating they become.

Eric

Are the pearl Harbor freight cars custom painted?

Dan Pierce said:

Are the pearl Harbor freight cars custom painted?

No Dan, they were made by USA Trains. I have the four car set that they offered, my dad was Navy. I am curious which car is a duplicate or did Tommy renumber one. The cars USAT copied for this run are the D&RGW 3000 series box cars. A fair number of them were commandeered tor service in Pearl.

Dan, The first four box cars in the consist are from the original USA Trains set. I preordered this set and waited a long time before it arrived.

The fifth box car is a red AML boxcar that I painted and applied decals. The Drop Bottom Gondolas are Don Winter kits that I built. The caboose is an Accucraft Rio Grande Caboose that was painted. I used Krylon Flat Grey primer and applied decals made by Stan Cedarleaf.

My Father-in-Law, Jack Myrick, was in the Navy from July 1941 - December 1944 and served on board the USS Enterprise CV-6. The caboose is numbered 1923 to honor the year he was born. I considered this his train consist and run it fondly in his memory.

Tommy

Rio Gracie

Tommy, nice consist and neat family back story. Dad is a plank owner of the USS Coral Sea CV-43.

My uncle was a plank owner of USS Midway CV 41 and my dad was on the USS Essex CVA 9 during Korea. I love the idea of numbering a car with their birthdate. That’s a great idea!