Large Scale Central

Memorial Day

This Memorial Day weekend, take time to remember those on the frontlines of freedom who stand ready to put their lives on the line so you can enjoy the life you have. Think about the 1.3 million who laid down their lives for you. Freedom is never free!

Absolutely, we have Freedom because so many gave it all. Don’t take it for granted.

Our little town holds a wonderful Memorial Day Service in the Cemetery, behind our place. When in town, we always attend. This year, because of “government restrictions”, the service will be extremely short, held at the town square, the Boy Scouts will not wear their uniforms to put the Flag at half mast, and the high school band will not be allowed to play. Yep, folks they live amongst us.

Agreed.

Our towns (where I live now and where I grew up) are having Virtual Ceremonies.

In Australian our equivalent is known as ANZAC Day (Australian New Zealand Army Corps from WW1) and is celebrated on 25th April, this year because of the virus lock down we conducted a “Light up the Dawn” ceremony where everyone stood at the end of their driveway and held a minutes silence (some holding candles) while the “Last Post” was played over the radio.

It was such a success that the local veteran organisation has said the they may continue with it into the future lockdown or not.

Traditionally there is a remembrance service held at dawn and a march later in the day but these could not happen due to the no gathering rules.

GAP said:

In Australian our equivalent is known as ANZAC Day (Australian New Zealand Army Corps from WW1) and is celebrated on 25th April, this year because of the virus lock down we conducted a “Light up the Dawn” ceremony where everyone stood at the end of their driveway and held a minutes silence (some holding candles) while the “Last Post” was played over the radio.

It was such a success that the local veteran organisation has said the they may continue with it into the future lockdown or not.

Traditionally there is a remembrance service held at dawn and a march later in the day but these could not happen due to the no gathering rules.

I like that!

I’ll be lowering my flag on Monday to half mast.

GAP said:

Maybe late, but this one’s for the ANZACs…

edit: for anyone interested in the history, here’s a good account of the battles at Suvla Bay:

https://www.firstworldwar.com/battles/suvlabay.htm

second edit: Whatever you think of the overall purpose and outcome of the war, I don’t think we should forget the Australians and New Zealanders who fought alongside Americans in the Vietnamese War.

Missing Man Ceremony: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=rgrCXnL5gWk&feature=emb_logo

Ken Brunt said:

This Memorial Day weekend, take time to remember those on the frontlines of freedom who stand ready to put their lives on the line so you can enjoy the life you have. Think about the 1.3 million who laid down their lives for you. Freedom is never free!

Ken,

Respectfully, the first part of your statement is incorrect. The folks who are on the front lines today have their own day, Armed Fores Day. Veterans such as us have our day, Veterans Day. Please do not muddy the waters about Memorial Day. It is specifically for those who died while defending this country. Started by President Lincoln as Decoration Day to decorate the graves of fallen Union soldiers during the American Civil War.The 1863 cemetery dedication at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania included a ceremony of commemoration at the graves of dead soldiers. Some have therefore claimed that President Abraham Lincoln was the founder of our more modern Memorial Day.

Well Joe it certainly doesn’t hurt to remember those that are standing at the gate, risking their lives day after day, and may not make it home along with those who won’t come home. And yes, I did have civics class in high school.

Since the flying of our national colors indicates whom we are honoring it seems we honor all who have served and those who have died for our country.

As you stated Ken.

A refresher on flying the flag for monday:

Memorial Day is Monday, May 27 and many people fly American flags to honor those who sacrificed their lives in defense of our freedoms.

There are standards for honoring, flying and displaying the U.S. flag, including a special provision for Memorial Day.

According to the Federal Flag Code, here are the guidelines:

Traditionally, flags are flown from sunrise to sunset if displayed in public. If flown at night, the flag should be clearly illuminated.
When displayed from a staff projecting from a building, the flag’s union (its blue section) should be at the peak of the staff.
When hung on a wall, window or door, the flag’s union should be to the observer’s left.
In a procession, the American flag should be to the right of any other flag or, if in a line of other flags, in front of the center of the line. When displayed over a street, the flag should be suspended vertically with the union to the north in an east and west street, or to the east in a north and south street.
The U.S. flag is traditionally flown at half staff to indicate periods of mourning. There is a special rule for Memorial Day, however. On Memorial Day, the flag should be flown at half staff from sunrise until noon, then raised briskly to the top of the staff until sunset in honor of the nation’s battle heroes.
There is a process for flying a flag at half-staff. First, the flag should be hoisted to the peak for an instant and then lowered to a half-staff position. It should again be raised to the peak before it is lowered for the day. Half-staff is one-half the distance between the top and bottom of the staff.

David,

Thank you. We have always flown our flag on Memorial Day as suggested with the exception of raising it to the peak at noon. We will correct our error this year!

Eric

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydWhRObVxrM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q65KZIqay4E

Ken Brunt said:

Well Joe it certainly doesn’t hurt to remember those that are standing at the gate, risking their lives day after day, and may not make it home along with those who won’t come home.

That’s what Armed Forces day is for.

And yes, I did have civics class in high school.

Sometimes I wonder.

Thanks.

Just for you John(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

November 11 is Remembrance Day here in Canada. It’s the anniversary of Armistice Day, 1918. Across the country we celebrate annually with the laying of wreaths at all town cenotaphs.

I attend every year, rain or shine. One year I shamed the local public schools for their habit of closing on that day as if it were a holiday, so sending no representatives from either staff or student body. The day is supposed to be because “We will never forget.” But here the schools were, engineering matters so the next generation would forget. The public schools are pretty bad anyway, but that really got under my skin. I raised a big stink and a public hue and cry, and they never dared do that again.

In our family, many served and many died, and the repercussions have come down the generations. I cannot imagine November 11 without marking the date respectfully.

Here’s a salute to all who have served and those who have died, and those who still serve the cause of freedom and the rule of law, under the flags of our brother nations, whichever uniform they wore then or wear today.

Thank you, John. Very well expressed.

During World events, wars and international disasters; we often forget, that no-mater what our country, or location on this Globe; WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.

This Virus situation, and others sure to come, can never be solved by finger pointing and political stupidity.

The true HEROES this year, will never be the politicians, or “Talking Heads” of the media.

The real Heroes are the front line workers, the World over, in EVERY Country, that are dedicated, even at the risk of death, to the care of others. (Exactly as our fallen defenders of our freedoms, in the past)

What medals and flag flying will ever, truely reward their selfless dedication…I ask you all…