Large Scale Central

Nice Columbia 2-4-2 Bash, need info.

My pal Jack acquired this with a 2-4-4-0 articulated (photos of that on my Live Steam thread.)
http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/30296/three-new-steamers-and/view/post_id/400082

It’s almost certainly a Bachmann “Columbia” 2-4-2 bash with some fine detailing and weathering.

Note the steam blowdown (?) just in front of the cab, the meticulous piping for the air pump and a steam generator behind the headlamp. Very nice weathering!

Anyone know how much of this is original?

Finally, I have to start taking it apart the check the mechanism. George Schreyers page is still available. I could use some current info though - wasn’t there a second series of these? Are the gears as bad as the other engines of 20 years ago?

It came apart without too much trouble, but the weathering was applied last, so it may have to be touched up where I scratched it. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cry.gif)

Of course, the gear is split:

I also realised this morning that the axle isn’t shouldered at 90 deg - so I will have to put the wheel back on precisely at 90 deg from the other wheel. No rest for the wicked. . .

Anyway, I contacted Mr Gear Man Jiro Yermanian, who sent me a pic of all his little gears:

and suggested that one should fit! When he got my dimensions, he confirmed he had the 15mm, 6mm axle, 16tooth gear:

and they are winging their way to FL.

I also discovered a couple of wires coming from the back of the motor casing. As I suspected, they were attached to the motor leads, though (a) they are solid wire and not very flexible and (b) the wheel pickups are/were still attached. I disconnected the wheels on one side and added some flexible wire to reach under the tender, where I can connect to a battery boxcar. (The blue tape is just insurance in case something presses the pickup strip down towards the motor lead.)

The gear transplant was successful. Here’s the loco cruising the Calusa Creek RR with a battery boxcar in tow. (The wires need hiding!)

Yay! So satisfying to bring one back to life.

Forrest Scott Wood said:

Yay! So satisfying to bring one back to life.

Absolutely. Quartering the drivers was the only problem.

Now to get to work on the 2-4-4-0.