Large Scale Central

kadee coupler

Anyone know does Kadee make a G scale coupler that fits in place of the factory loop couple on the front of a LGB 2010 or 2020 engine?

The LGB front coupler serves 3 purposes. Locks the engine together, has a hole for the smoke stack and of course it is used to couple.

You could try to mount a kadee to a modified LGB loop for this engine by cutting off the loop in order to use the piece that goes inside the engine to lock it together.

How about, not familiar with their newer couplers because all I have used is their #830 and #831 but I see they now make a 779 that will bolt to a flat vertical surface, so ? is #779 the same style as the 830 meaning still G scale and not their 1/32

Yes Bill, the 779 coupler is a ‘G’ scale coupler, not the #1 (1:32). I am using them on the Bachmann 45 Ton Spectrum and they work great.

Thanks much have to reeducate myself from being in the shadows for too long, Bill

When you go to their site, and pick couplers by scale, you can select the “G” scale which they call 1:22.5, or the #1 scale which they call 1:32.

Most people in 1:29 use the “G” scale couplers.

Once you select a scale, then all the couplers shown on the page are the same “size”

(start on the Kadee site itself is my recommendation)

Greg

You can also email Sam the coupler man at KaDee. There should be a link on the KaDee site. If there is a kit or coupler that is made for that application, he would know.

The front coupler on that stainz engine is not screwed into place, it is inserted into the body (which locks the steam chest to the bottom frame) and is held in place by the smoke stack which goes through a hole in the rear of the loop coupler bracket. Also the smoke stack holds the weight in place. In the 2010 diagram the LGB loop coup[ler is part 55 and the spare part by LGB at trainli is

LGB 20100-E055

If this part is removed from the engine then the ‘front’ of the engine is not locked together and when you tighten the smoke stack nut it will warp the plastic on the bottom of the engine. This is why I stated above that this part needs to be modified to take the Kadee coupler.

Not a problem, I wound up mounting a # 835 to a cross beam and securing to the flat tab that is just below the boiler, not using the factory stack but I have a part of a loop coupler in the slot to prevent it from warping and the screw that holds it altogether coms from underneath and threads into a furniture fitting that is screwed into the lead weight. Old Joe now has a coupler, thanks, Bill