Large Scale Central

Two Truck Shay 1:6 Inch Scale Wood Model

Folks - My brother in Sonora CA builds wooden models of local logging locomotives and he just finished his latest project. The city let him measure the Shay displayed in a public park and he built the wooden model in 1/6th inch scale. Thought I’d share some photos of it and the actual Shay he used to model it.

Update…photos would not load, got error message. So here’s the eBay link that has the photos: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scratchbuilt-static-scale-mdl-locomotive-very-large-Hundreds-of-hours-to-build-/223551005866

quite a piece of art!

Nice work !

Thanks Greg…you’re definitely more skilled than I am posting photos! I kept getting an error message even when I reduced the size of the photos. On the eBay listing, the last photo is of the actual Shay locomotive that he measured and used to model his project on. If you or someone could post it, too, for comparison, would probably interest everyone. By the way, this 1/6th inch scale model is 8 feet long, and weighs approximately 60 pounds, and is made of wood, fiberglass, metal and plastic.

Pretty awesome modelling job. Here’s the original Stuffed and Mounted.

That’s cool, and very well done!

Pete Thornton - Thanks for pulling and posting the photo of the actual Shay my brother Bill modeled his build after. Could you share with me your technique to load the photos? I copied the ones from the eBay listiing and pasted them into my Microsoft Office Picture Manager and then transferred them to a folder onto my desktop in BNP format but they were too large. So I then reduced the size of the files in Picture Manager twice and then tried to post them onto the forum posting but still got an error message. What’s the secret to posting photos!?

Thomas White said:

Folks - My brother in Sonora CA builds wooden models of local logging locomotives and he just finished his latest project. The city let him measure the Shay displayed in a public park and he built the wooden model in 1/6th inch scale. Thought I’d share some photos of it and the actual Shay he used to model it.

Update…photos would not load, got error message. So here’s the eBay link that has the photos: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scratchbuilt-static-scale-mdl-locomotive-very-large-Hundreds-of-hours-to-build-/223551005866

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yesterday my brother Bill emailed me some additional information on the techniques he uses to model the locomotives he builds. I quote: “The scratch building I do requires a lot of math to scale the dimensions to the size model I want to make. For the 1/6 scale Heisler I have in progress, I took drawings that were available in O scale (1/48, or “quarter inch scale”) to a local copy service. I had them enlarged 800% to get to1/6. Their biggest copier still required them to do a set of drawings at 400% and then copy those at 200%! Then I had a lot of cutting and pasting to do to get my construction drawings. I have done this before on other models, so it is somewhat routine but takes a bit of time though.” Wow…and that’s to just develop the drawings he’s going to use!

Once I learn how to post photos on this forum, I’ll post a few others of this locomotive so you can see more of the details.

Could you share with me your technique to load the photos?

(Even if you can’t spell my name, I’m happy to help. Skip to the next paragraph for the simple instructions for your photos.)

It’s really very simple. Posting a photo here requires that it be stored online somewhere, and therefor it has a URL (web address) that probably ends in .jpg (preferably not .bnp.) What you can’t do is post them directly from your computer - they have to be ‘uploaded’ first if that’s where they are.

This website has basic online storage - free- in the Freightsheds. Just click the link at the top of the page, and then click “Manage my folders”. You can create a folder - say “Photos-2019” and then upload your pics to the folder. [Note: use internet conventions for file names; try to avoid spaces and special characters. Use the hyphen or underscore symbol for spaces.]

Then bring up the picture you want on the screen in the Freightshed folder, and Right-Click on it. You’ll get a little menu that includes “Copy Image Location”. Click that - you now have the location of the image in your clipboard. Go back to your post in the thread and click the “insert/edit image” icon [sq box with sun and mountain] then put the cursor in the “Source” box and ‘paste’ the link (ctl-v is the quickest way to ‘paste’ from the clipboard.) Go down to the size and adjust it to about 800x600 (this website doesn’t approve of really big pics.) Hit OK and you are done.

In your case, the photos are in eBay.com, which is hosting (storing) them for the seller. You may not know this, but if you click on a photo in an eBay listing, it will bring up a window with just the picture in it. Right-Click and you get this:

This image above was copied onto my computer (that’s another whole technicque involving "PrtSc,) and uploaded to my folder on this website. It’s URL (location) is [ http: //www.largescalecentral.com/FileSharing/user_174/PeterTs%20Folder/Misc%202019%20May%20-%20Aug/Shay1.jpg I added a space so the site doesn’t think it is a link.]

Click the “Copy Image Location” and then go back to your post. Paste the image location into the Source box on this post’s “insert Image” and it shows, like this:

Pete - Appreciate the photo insertion process…I will try it next time.

By the way, what do you mean, my posting to you has the correct spelling of your name (joke…I just corrected it!)

Tom

Video Embedding

This topic has to be re-mastered every time the site owner makes an upgrade to the software. For this incarnation the procedure is…

1. Grab the embed code from the YouTube video (directly on the video) right click in OPERA (copy embed code); right click in FireFox (Copy embed code); right click in Chrome (get embed code);right click in IE (get embed code).

2. In the reply window click on “insert/edit video” button in the top row (looks like a movie frame), and select “Embed”.

3. Paste the embed code (copied from YouTube) in the box and click “OK”.

That’s what we all found works now. Some day down the road we will have to find a new way for new software, but for now this works. Have fun!

Photo inserting

1. Start by uploading your photos to a server. You have storage space in the Freight Shed on this web site.
  2. After they are uploaded, click on the file you want to open.
  3. Once it is opened, RIGHT click on the picture and select copy image location. DO NOT use the url in the address bar of your browser.
  4. Next click on the insert photo button in your post and paste the image location in the source line.
  5. Look at the dimensions. You will see them if you click on the first box (height). Make it 800 then click on the second box and it will automatically be correctly scaled.
  6. Then hit OK and your photo will be in your post.