Large Scale Central

That damn cat!

So, I had a boxcar on the work bench, already to get it’s final top coat of acrylic clear coat, when that damn cat decided to knock it off the bench, onto the floor, breaking off the kingpost around which, the truck swivels.

Is there any good way of repairing or replacing this, as all attempts have failed.

Ouch. How about drilling a hole and putting a screw through it - should make it strong enough?

But, your cat…

Heavy walled plastic tube. Drill the appropriate size hole and glue the new piece in

Aristo ,USA , Bachmann ? Pic would really help here Steve…Currently going through my fleet and repairing the broken ones that were put on the back shelf a few years ago. Actually making the same repair on an Aristo Hopper as I type this.

Aristo, old, high stock, not that it makes a difference to the kingpost.

Steve Featherkile said:

Aristo, old, high stock, not that it makes a difference to the kingpost.

Oh but it does Steve

This is a an Aristo 3 bay coal hopper …same issue but I upgraded it to Ro trucks …you will need evergreen 1/4" plastic tube as Hollywood stated. You will also need a #4 self tapping screw…file the residual down so it’s flat and true on the bolster then insert the the tubing slice cut about 1/4" high and drill with 1/16" bit through the center of the tubing. Insert the #4 screw with a washer ,allow for rock on the truck and call it done.

Oh sure. Solve the kingpost problem, but nobody addresses the cat’s issues…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif) (Nicely done, though)

Poor kitty…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cry.gif)

Bruce D. Chandler said:

nobody addresses the cat’s issues…

I will if I may …it’s Easter weekend so pollute the pussy with alcohol… Fix the car and if it happens again then repeat lather and rinse.

" Rooster " said:

Bruce D. Chandler said:

nobody addresses the cat’s issues…

I will if I may …it’s Easter weekend so pollute the pussy with alcohol… Fix the car and if it happens again then repeat lather and rinse.

Thanks, Roos. I’m guessing that some glue is involved to attach the tube after it’s lined up?

The cat owns the house. I live, only to serve her.

Steve, do you like sweets?

big lollipops come on sticks/tubes, that might be just, what you need there.

Steve Featherkile said:

Thanks, Roos. I’m guessing that some glue is involved to attach the tube after it’s lined up?

The cat owns the house. I live, only to serve her.

No glue …the screw holds the tubing tight in place. You will want the tubing about 1/32 to 1/16" above the truck bolster. If I get some shop time in today I will take more pics.

I don’t know if you can drop the frame on the car you are working on, but if you can, this is how I solved it on an Aristo Classic car with a T-Nut from above:

Broken bolster…

Removed frame, cut a fill piece and installed a T-Nut on the inside of bolster…

From the bottom…

I still had the broken piece, so it was glued in place only to act as a fill, not to bear the force…

Then I used a machine screw to re-attach the truck…

That fix was done years ago and the car has been in battery car service ever since with no failure.

My quick and simple repair… Take the broken piece drill the center hole out super glue it back. Nex drill a pilot hole into the underbody. I then drive a deck screw through the truck, the broken piece, and into the underbody of the car. It pokes through into the car…but its solid, quick, and the head is large enough to hold the truck without a washer.

Well, sure the trucks are fixed…but what about the cat??? (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

Bruce D. Chandler said:

Well, sure the trucks are fixed…but what about the cat??? (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

Sounds like that damn cat.