Large Scale Central

gscalegraphics

Has anybody had any experience with their RC railboss system for remote control battery system, any input would be appreciated, or any other system at fits well in small space engines, Bill

I use Del’s previous Railboss system. I’ve not used his Railboss 4, but the systems I have are solid and Del is a great person to deal with - very responsive.

I use the RailBoss 4 in all of my engines (8) and am quite the “fan boy”. They are very reliable other than a single failure that was replaced immediately for free. Del Tapparo, the designer/owner, has provided excellent and timely support on the few times that I have had questions.

These have been installed along with batteries, no sound, without much surgery or difficulty. I do strip out most all factory wiring and circuit boards including the rail/wheel pickups and direct wire to the motors. My engines are the 1:20.3 Spectrum Bachmanns and a Heartland railbus.

For my needs they have proved to be the best bang for the buck. Highly recommended.

I also am a fan of Railboss. I have installed at least 10 of Del’s systems. They are simple to install and operate (buttons) and extremely reliable. They have many features including sound and lighting control. Their range seems to be over 100 ft.

Doc

thanks I appreciate the input and any special places to get batteries, was going to use a trailing car and utilize my Makita batteries but my first build is a mason bogie using a LGB 2074 motor block and really didn’t want a trailing car for it. Thanks again, Bill

Hi Bill, I am one of the sponsors here and offer over 10 different battery packs w/charger and control systems with sound. You can see all my products at www.rcsofne.com

Do you know Rick Delaney from Ormond Beach? He is a customer.

Del offers a good product that I recommend when you need a basic setup. If you need more lighting effects and on-board sound then visit my web site for another idea.

Enjoy your build of the Mason Bogie.

Don

Del does offer onboard sound and he is the distributor for My Loco Sound and he offers directional lighting.

He just celebrated 15 years as G scale graphics.

Bill Barnwell said:

thanks I appreciate the input and any special places to get batteries, was going to use a trailing car and utilize my Makita batteries but my first build is a mason bogie using a LGB 2074 motor block and really didn’t want a trailing car for it. Thanks again, Bill

While batteryspace was my go to and all-battery was 2nd, all-battery has gone to:

https://power.tenergy.com/

Might as well get the best from the source.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

I’m no longer a fan of Tenergy batteries. I’ve had every pack I ever bought for them have one or two cells fail. To be fair, my charging regimen was not optimum, but not horrible either. I have been buying the MTO packs from Don Sweet and have had great success with them. They cost a few dollars more, but you get what you pay for.

Jon Radder said:

I’m no longer a fan of Tenergy batteries. I’ve had every pack I ever bought for them have one or two cells fail. To be fair, my charging regimen was not optimum, but not horrible either. I have been buying the MTO packs from Don Sweet and have had great success with them. They cost a few dollars more, but you get what you pay for.

Thanks, guess I’ll go back to my #1 batteryspace.com

John Caughey said:

Jon Radder said:

I think Batteryspace also sells Tenergy and possibly others. Just stay away from teh Chinese stuff. The Japanese stuff is very good, so I’m told. I don’t know who’s cells MTO uses, but the Sanyo cells have a great reputation.

You buying components (cells, protection boards etc.) packs, or maybe not even Lithium?

In case watchers are reading this thread I thought I would add a link to Del’s site considering Don added one to his.

https://www.gscalegraphics.net/#/

I’m not biased either way but I thought a link for the original posters question would be nice for the lurkers.

Hmm, so far I’ve not had a failure of any of my battery packs. They are exclusively Tenergy from All-Battery My last order was September of 2016 and most of the pack are the 4 cell 14.8 volt. The first pack that I purchased was in July of 2013.

All of the packs are shrink wrapped so I cannot see an individual cell’s country of origin. Perhaps I was lucky and they were all manufactured in Japan. I use the Tenergy TLP-4000 Universal 1A Smart Charger for Li-Ion/Polymer Battery Pack (3.7V-14.8V 1-4 Cell).

Jon Radder said:

John Caughey said:

Jon Radder said:

I think Batteryspace also sells Tenergy and possibly others. Just stay away from teh Chinese stuff. The Japanese stuff is very good, so I’m told. I don’t know who’s cells MTO uses, but the Sanyo cells have a great reputation.

You buying components (cells, protection boards etc.) packs, or maybe not even Lithium?

Odd question and phrasing methinks…

Since it was asked; my first 2 sets a dozen years ago were tabbed NiMH, I assembled, that served me well. And as Mark has described my 3 or so year old lithiums are shrink wrapped.

I’m in the midst of Chemo and am 30 miles from said batteries. But I know I paid for lithium and a charger …

Sorry about your bad luck.

I’m glad no one else is having issues. The on-board Lithium batteries I built into my Shay and my Porter are also Tenergy and they have performed great for years. I think the difference is use. The failing packs were underused and not kept charged while in long term storage. That is probably why they had early cell failure. Like I said, my charging regimen was not optimum back then.

@John - I was just wondering what you were buying as NiMh is a whole different animal. The reference to components was because I have had good luck with Tenergy cells and boards to roll my own LiIonpacks.

Continued good luck with the Chemo. I know that is no fun. We all hope the discomfort is worth the outcome. And yes I sometime phrase things oddly - Implied but not stated was the preamble ‘I wish you’.

Jon Radder said: And yes I sometime phrase things oddly

I no longer fear naked and alone!

Jon, a pretty big difference between your first post and your second. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Long term storage of batteries is an issue, with all types, more so with nicad and nimh, but can also be with lithium.

What battery type did you have the bad experience with that caused you to not like Tenergy? That would be helpful.

(also how long?)

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

Jon, a pretty big difference between your first post and your second. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Hello Pot my name is Kettle

You have way more in the bank than me Rooster, would never hope or aspire to top the king!

Thanks for the support guys! I don’t seem to have (or take) the time to browse the forums anymore, so I just noticed this one. G-Scale Graphics just continues to grow, year after year.