Large Scale Central

CVP Adapta Board

I put in the adapta board with a G3 Decoder and Phoenix P8 sound. Everything wired according to specs. The decoder is not talking to the throttle, even with initial power up, the green light is steady with them G3, but the red light does not come on, which should happen even before it is programmed, as it knows the throttle found the decoder, even before programming. programmed the address and frequency, still nothing. I even did a reset for the G3. I did contact CVP about the adapta board and believed the internal set up was the same as the GP40 as with the Dash 9.

I did isolate the track power pickups as instructed. I did ask Phoenix if it was ok to plug the sound plug from the P8 into the sound port on the Dash 9’s main board, they said yes, but no sound either. I have read a bunch of articles. I even read an install procedure from a fellow from the Ottawa Garden Railroad Society in Canada. Except he was using Aristo sound and DCC, but the install was very similar. I reached out to them, but still no reply. I don’t think they check their forums very often, and some of their posts were pretty old. This guy did do a step I have not done that maybe might have some effect but not sure. I will enclose the link to the page.

http://ovgrs.org/the-trains/battery-power-radio-control-and-sound/aristo-craft-dash-9/comment-page-1/#comment-116405

Scroll up or down to the section “REMOVING THE MU CONNECTORS” I did not think this made much sense to do as the DPDT on board switches would just stay in the “on” position, with the exception Battery/Track Power switch, left in “battery” position. IE:

Battery/Track Power “battery” position
Smoke “on”
Lights “on”
Motor “on”

And the DPDT installed power switch I installed from the battery controls all power going to everything. I was able to reach out to a fellow from Large Scale Central on line forum, and he concurred that it looked like I did everything right. Again, I would appreciate any help, referral or to pass this on, including my email address.

Thanks
Dave

Make sure the transmitter and G3 are on the same frequency, if you had the G3 powered on without having the transmitter on, the G3 will revert to frequency 0.

Thank you Jim! I was trying to make sure that the procedure I enclosed was not necessary. I will try the programming again.

Thanks

Dave

Dave said:
I even read an install procedure from a fellow from the Ottawa Garden Railroad Society in Canada.  Except he was using Aristo sound and DCC, but the install was very similar.  I reached out to them, but still no reply.  I don't think they check their forums very often, and some of their posts were pretty old. This guy did do a step I have not done that maybe might have some effect but not sure.  I will enclose the link to the page.  

Thanks
Dave 

Unfortunately when our website was moved I was no longer notified by e-mail when someone posted a comment. Like George Schreyer I also hit the wall after moving all the information and adding new addresses for all the pictures. So the website has become stagnant.

However I do help people with the locomotive projects when they e-mail me. [email protected]
My knowledge is based on Revolution radio control, battery power, and Phoenix Sound. Questions concerning DCC are usually forwarded to Greg Elmassion.

Since you are using a component I am not familiar with, I may not been able to help you. But I am sure that others here familiar with that component will.

Paul Norton
Ottawa Valley GRS

So I see 2 issues, remote control does not link, and you get no sound.

So disconnect the Phoenix entirely, and focus on the AirWire… if the leds are on, then you don’t have a short, and don’t worry about the mu cables yet.

You need to find why it does not link. That help should come from AirWire, or maybe Paul Burch will weigh in and help.

One thing at a time.

Greg

Make sure that the P8 isn’t connected backwards - i.e. reversed power and DCC. The green wires are power and the orange/grey wires are DCC. I find this counterintuitive. If you hook them up backwards, it doesn’t hurt anything, but nothing (including the Airwire Decoder) will work.