Large Scale Central

My fix for broken Aristo throwbar

I purchased what was listed as a “Like New” Aristo wide switch form Bart “Mad Dog” Burger on Facebook. When it arrived it was far from new. Rail was somewhat corroded and loaded with spider webs. The switch machine was completely broken as was the throw-bar. “Mad Dog” replied immediately to my email saying he would send new parts, but to date still has not and went silent for over a month until he went to post new items on the Facebook swap group and noticed my bad review of him. He responded on FB that “Like New” is not New. OK, fine; but where are the parts you promised?

I need to install the switch today, so I gave up on the Dog and fashioned my own quick fix. A Bachmann throw and a small piece of brass did the trick…

Nice fix.

I bought a set of replacement throw-bars from GLX, for the eventuality that someday I will need to fix/replace a broken throw-bar.

https://glxscalemodels.com/aristocraft-3d-printed-replacement-parts/

But all y’all say Farcebook is the place to be.

How could this happen?

So were you able to maintain the Aristo feature of the bushings that allow the point rails to pivot even with the screws tight?

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

So were you able to maintain the Aristo feature of the bushings that allow the point rails to pivot even with the screws tight?

Greg

Yes, I think so. The bushing is still in place under the brass. The screw was long enough to get through the thin brass and snug up the rail. I didn’t check, but I assume the screw head now pivots my brass shim and the bushing. I don’t have any issues throwing the points

John Caughey said:

But all y’all say Farcebook is the place to be.

How could this happen?

Because I broke my own rule and paid someone I didn’t know with Friends & Family. Fortunately it was not a costly mistake.

Whenever I install an Aristo switch; I always replace the throw bar with a “GLX” replacement part, as I know that sooner or later the throw bar will fail.

The GLX part accommodates the brass insert of the original throw bar.

The nice thing is that the replacement part only costs a dollar or so…plus postage. They come as a card of ten .

I’ll send you a card, Jon, if you want one.

Fred

…I need a spare card myself, so Gilbert is going to drop a pair of them here in a few days…Let me know if you want one, Jon…

I’m good for now Fred, Thank you.

It’s funny how some people get common failures all the time while others don’t. I know that this is a common failure part, but in 18 years of using Aristo switches I have never had one break! The only swithc parts that have failed me in all that time is the internal spring.

My brain initially registered “the internal spring” as “the infernal spring”

A while before their demise, and shortly after Lewis admitted in the forum that that throwbar is NOT UV protected, I managed to order about 10 of the throwbars.

For my use, I remove the little extension and connect an air cylinder, so that very thin “loop” at the end is a liability, so the GLX is a better alternative. Normally the little “extension” on the throwbar keeps the sun off this vulnerable part and they don’t break there.

I was surprised at my first disassembly finding the bushing there, and learned to clean them and lube them up and they work quite well, it is actually a nice design.

Greg

Forrest Scott Wood said:

My brain initially registered “the internal spring” as “the infernal spring”

It’s the same spring, Forrest. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Jon Radder said:

I’m good for now Fred, Thank you.

It’s funny how some people get common failures all the time while others don’t. I know that this is a common failure part, but in 18 years of using Aristo switches I have never had one break! The only swithc parts that have failed me in all that time is the internal spring.

I agree. The 2 switches I have in service are spring switches, so the throw-bar pushes against the spring each time a wheel passes between the point and stock rail. That’s how many axles per train? I usually run 2 trains at a time, for a few hours, most weekends during the running season, and many evenings. They have been in service since the darn stainless switches first came out. And they haven’t failed yet. The brand new Polks switch failed in a few weeks of service. Odd.

Chinese reverse engineering explains that David.

Substituting lesser parts as a way of making money… after contracts are signed.