Large Scale Central

Passing of Jack Mullen

Suleski Transportation will fly flags and half staff for the week in remembrance of Jack Mullen. President of the Nonantum Railway late of Newton, MA. A member of both the New Hampshire Garden Railway Society and the Washington, Virginia & Maryland Garden Railway Society.

Jack was an avid LGB enthusiast loving the European model trains. His Nonantum Railway was a recreation of European setting with villages and trains. Eventually he came around and started buying American style trains. He was a fixture at York each year, first in a green shirt in the early years then in a red shirt. Jack will be missed as the president of Suleski Transportation loved catching up with Jack and Mary. Hearing about their grandchildren and sharing funny stories.

Obituary for John (Jack) Mullen

For those of you not familiar with Nonantum, MA you won’t find it on any new maps. It was one of 13 villages that is now Newton, MA. It has its own language and is also called the Lake District. I used to love teasing Jack because when they built all the highways around Newton they filled in the lake from 1930-1970 but the sign still said Entering Nonantum - Silver Lake. Whenever the railroad presidents met Scott would all ways ask Jack how the fishing was.

Thoughts and prayers are with Mary and his family.

Jack will be sorely missed from our club. He loved the New York Central, and always ran his NYC passenger train. He was a very positive and kind person, and he often had a smile on his face. I enjoyed every chance I had to talk with him. My condolences to Mary and the rest of their family. I have requested that our layout at ECLSTS this year be in memory of Jack.

Joe

Jack’s layout was the first one I visited when I started in G-scale. He was also a member of the inner city RR and the Rusty rails and Rotten ties RR here in Massachusetts.

I also visited his layout in Virginia and saw him and Mary in York

I attended his memorial service today. It was well done. There were some good photos of him with trains. A great many other club members were there as well. Mary says she intends to continue running trains (“or else I will be haunted” was her reason) on the railroad. I will miss attending their annual March St. Patrick themed meeting, running trains on his railroad, and most of all being able to see Jack. I don’t know whether Mary will still decide to attend York.

If any of you are coming to York this week, my club, the WVMGRS, is paying Jack a special tribute on our layout. I think you all will find it fitting.