Large Scale Central

Is this a good buy???

Just like the Christmas song… Do you see what I see.
Motor brush is almost completely worn out. I hope this is not the unit the vendor ships!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LGB-62201-STANDARD-SHORT-SHAFT-ORIGINAL-BUHLER-MOTOR-LN-USED-CONDITION-HTF/283331462768?epid=17013043595&hash=item41f7df0670:g:ZW0AAMXQMXRQ4VWk

No you can buy new from only trains for $60.00

He is also selling an empty track box for $10 with $8.50 shipping…

Dan Pierce said:

Just like the Christmas song… Do you see what I see.
Motor brush is almost completely worn out. I hope this is not the unit the vendor ships!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LGB-62201-STANDARD-SHORT-SHAFT-ORIGINAL-BUHLER-MOTOR-LN-USED-CONDITION-HTF/283331462768?epid=17013043595&hash=item41f7df0670:g:ZW0AAMXQMXRQ4VWk

Dan, for my own education and probably other’s too, can you point out how you know the motor brush is worn out? Thanks for your help.

I think you look into the square hole, you see a shallow U shaped tray, and down in that you can see the end of the brush… so the brush that far in indicates is it shorter, i.e. worn.

(was I right Dan?)

Greg

Not the best angle but I think what Greg is saying is right and can be seen in the difference between the two motors. If somebody has better pics please post them…inquiring minds want to know. Even us poor humble cavemen.

So it appears the answer to the question is;

It is not a good buy, it is a Good Bye!(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Greg, Boomer, thanks. I see exactly what you are talking about. Red arrow is the u-shaped tray and yellow is the brush.

Yep, you see the first motor has almost 1/4" less brush. You know if I was selling a motor for $60 I think I would at least clean the old grease off the gear and the front of the motor… but that’s just me ha ha!

At least his picture tells the story.

Greg

Dan,

I am about ready to shell out for a new motor for my old 2071D Glitchy Gustav (all gears having been replaced last year), so this is quite timely. Looking at the brushes on the existing motor, it looks like they are depressed about 1/8" from the top of that U-shaped tray. Is this the depth that indicates worn out our nearly worn out brushes?

Thanks!

Eric

1/8 inch is not bad, continue using that motor.

Dan,

Thanks. I will file that knowledge away. I was hoping I’d isolated the reason this loco still gives me fits.

Eric

One other thing I did not mention, there is more than 1 type of this motor, one does not have thrust bearings and the shaft will move in and out of the motor. LGB added small ball bearings to the end of these motors in the motor block. Use grease to keep them in place when assembling.

Also if there is no end to end play then remove the ball bearings if they are there as they place pressure against the thrust bearings.

One other thing I check is to make sure each end of the sfaft does not move side to side, esp the long shafts as this will cause the plastic gears to wear on the sides and eventually destroy them.

Take this motor to a hobby shop which specializes in rc cars ,most likely they have the right brushes for this motor,ball bearing wearing out ? Not even after you wear out 2 sets of brushes!!!