Forums Power and Sound Power and Sound
  • Topic: Battery & R/C in a Bachmann Eggliner

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 1, 2019 5:37 PM EST
      • Columbia, Maryland

• Thanks

Battery & R/C in a Bachmann Eggliner

I received the new Bachmann Eggliner for xmas, with the hopes of converting it to r/c. To my surprise, there is enough room under the shell for an 8 cell, 14.8v battery and receiver, with room for a phoenix board and a 1" speaker to spare.

I plan on using the factory supplied polarity switch as the on/off switch. Unless I can come up with another method, the shell will just rest on top of the chassis, so I can remove the battery as needed. As stated on another thread, I prefer to have the batteries accessible so they can be switched out to charge. My hope is to have the r/c working by Jan. 20th, when my club has its monthly meeting.

• January 1, 2019 6:10 PM EST
      • Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario, Canada

• Thanks

You missed the whole point of the Eggliner…

You are supposed to hatch it, or make an omelette of it...!!

Fred Mills

• January 1, 2019 6:30 PM EST
      • Columbia, Maryland

• Thanks

Lol! From what I understand, the Eggliner was never intended to be a formal product and go to market. One of the Polks decided it would be funny to stick two observation car ends together and stick it on a motorblock. It only came to the market after many people had seen the original and asked that it be produced. With that being said, I respect both the realistic/prototypical side of modeling, and the whimsical side. I am of both sides. However, I do intend to paint it into a realistic paint scheme.

This post was edited by Joe Loll at January 1, 2019 7:14 PM EST
    • January 2, 2019 5:03 PM EST
      • Columbia, Maryland

• Thanks

I removed the track pick ups, and I was impressed by the new version of the remake Aristo motorblock. The universal joint is made of metal, and the wheels appear to have ball bearings. It seems that the latest version Aristo blocks do have these features. Still, not bad for just an Eggliner.

This post was edited by Joe Loll at January 3, 2019 9:45 AM EST
    • January 7, 2019 4:32 PM EST
      • Carlsbad, CA

• Thanks

I think the "new version" is about 10 years old

Someone here will know when the BB wheelsets came out...

Greg

Be sure­ to visit ­my site, l­ots of tec­hnical tip­s and modi­fications,­ and you c­an search ­for topics­ and key w­ords.

­Click HERE for Greg­'s web sit­e
      PLEASE NOT­E: Please do NOT use private messaging, i­f you have­ a questio­n, feel fr­ee to emai­l me priva­tely, u­se regular­ email onl­y: greg@el­massian.co­m

• January 8, 2019 6:27 PM EST
      • Columbia, Maryland

• Thanks

My installation is progressing. I most recently constructed the platform for the receiver to sit on, and made a cardboard template of the lower platform where the battery, phoenix board and speaker will sit. The receiver platform is a plastic board screwed to two cedar supports. I probably should have measured out the spacing of the supports and lengths of the supports, but eyeballing worked out okay. As of yet, the receiver platform and supports are just resting on the lower platform. I intend to make some small metal L brackets to secure them down using the screws that hold down the weight. The lower platform will be constructed of plastic, so it will be stronger and more weather resistant than the cardboard. Hobby Lobby is selling two 8.5" by 11" by 0.015" thick plastic sheets for $5, which seems like a good deal. I also hope to purchase some connectors after I finish building the two platforms. The Phoenix p8 and a 1" speaker are shown along with the Airwire g3 receiver in their approximate locations.

This post was edited by Joe Loll at January 10, 2019 9:51 AM EST
    • January 11, 2019 8:57 AM EST
      • Columbia, Maryland

• Thanks

The receiver and lower platforms are now completed. The lower platform was fabricated from two 0.03" thick k&s plastic sheets. The sheets were glued together for more strength and less flexing. I also scrounged a rail joiner and part of an old drawing compass to make the L brackets to hold down the cedar supports for the receiver platform. Next to do is wiring. The first photo shows the basic structure without electronics, and the second shows it with electronics.

• January 11, 2019 12:20 PM EST
      • Easton , Massachusetts

• Thanks

Nice ... does the shell fit over all that ?

My u-tube

The light in the tunnel might not be an engine , but a light in the caboose of my own train on my Roundy Round Rail Road !    My empire is complete...I think...

• January 12, 2019 9:09 AM EST
      • Columbia, Maryland

• Thanks

It sure does! :)  I'm not exactly sure, but there is probably 5 mm of clearance between the "ceiling" of the shell and the top of the receiver. A very close fit. 

• January 12, 2019 9:13 AM EST
      • Waverly, Alabama

• Thanks

Wow, Joe.  You stuffed a lot of hardware in a small space. You‘ve given me some ideas, thanks. 

• January 12, 2019 10:27 AM EST
      • Columbia, Maryland

• Thanks

Happy to help. Glad you got some ideas. It really helps that the Eggliner has a one piece shell that is pretty much hollow underneath.

Forums Power and Sound Power and Sound

Icon Legend

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google