Large Scale Central

LGB Mogul chuff Sound stopped working

Hello, I’m brand new to this site and anxious to see if anyone can help me with a problem I’m having with my 2-6-0 LGB MOGUL 2019S. The chuff Sound stopped working properly. It just makes a constant hissing steam sound not the normal lgb factory chuff. Was told it could possibly be a broken wire in the harness going to the tender. Any suggestions? if that’s the culprit where can I buy one? Thanks, Rob near Chicago

I haven’t any idea of how to help you out, but you’re very Welcome! here, Rob. And Crete looks like a nice and friendly little town.

I just opened up the connector on mine and redid the wires.

Trainli makes up this 6 pin tender cable, however you must get to the board in the firebox to solder it in.

If you connect the power leads wrong you will fry the chuff sensor in the engine

Like David I just opened up the connector and re crimped it on the cable and have found that when the wire breaks it right were the connector is and is a simple fix, Bill

Yup Bill, and once one wire breaks, the others are frayed and about to break. So re-crimping all the wires is a good idea.

I try and leave the connector plugged in as much as I can.

AS I said at the other forum.

Once you have it fixed and have it working again, make sure you put a smear of silicone adhesive along the edge of the lug where the wires enter. That will stop the wires flexing at the weakest point and breaking again.

Ah, now there is a thought.

Thanks so much for all the good advice. How do the wires get crimped in the connector? does just closing the connector crimp them? Do the connectors ever need replacing? Thanks, again everyone. Rob

Thanks so much for all the good advice. How do the wires get crimped in the connector? does just closing the connector crimp them? Do the connectors ever need replacing? Thanks, again everyone. Rob

the end of the connector that takes the wire has little wings that fold over the stripped wire.

If you are trying to re-use one, it takes a careful hand to do it… if this is the “socket” side, it’s pretty tricky, you have to get the connector out of the housine, usually a long thin instrument… then you have to unfold the wings without breaking them…

Honestly, it’s tricky.

Greg

If Train-Li really does sell new replacement cables with a plug fitted, I would go that way.

Trainli also has the LGB 2/3/4/5/6 pin connectors and I believe these are sold in pairs. Easier than reusing the old connector and getting the insulation out of the small holes can be a challenge. I do this with a 1/16 drill bit after making sure the forked pins are pushed down

Tony Walsham said:

AS I said at the other forum.

Once you have it fixed and have it working again, make sure you put a smear of silicone adhesive along the edge of the lug where the wires enter. That will stop the wires flexing at the weakest point and breaking again.

I use hot glue instead of silicone

Indoors is OK for hot glue, but outdoors it can soften in the heat of the day. Not an issue in Alaska!!