Large Scale Central

Diesel fuleing tank

Recently purchased a USA Alco S4 for my layout. I picked it because it fit in the era that I wish to run (if possible) early 40’s + and the S4 was not built then but the S2 was and the only difference between the 2 from what I understand is the type of trucks. Figured most would not know the difference at it is a pretty recognizable engine with cab in the rear like a steam engine. Now I’ve built a coaling tower, water tank and a sanding house for my steam engines, but didn’t have any fuel for my diesel, So being as I only have 1 diesel I didn’t figure I needed too big a one. Started with a 1 1/4" pvc reducing slip “T” the branch part is 1/2" pvc, then cut the ends off 2 1 1/4" caps with rounded ends and glued the together. did a little sanding to remove signs of a joint. Also cut the end off a 1/2" cap for the top. Added some styrene strip to simulate hinges, and a train car break wheel for detail. The end of the caps had the brand name of LASCO so I removed the L and now says ASCO which is the name of a large industrial company that is in solenoids and liquid movement. If you remember the European tank car that I turned into lumber company water tank, well I had the upper structure left over with the ladders and for the base I had the tops that had been cut off of aristo craft transmission towers. wound up fitting pretty good. Ltop-side viewabeled it wiside top viewth silhouette machine. Whole project cost about $ 5.00 and a couple of afternoons. fueling tank in progress

Very nicely done.

Good work Bill, looks very nice. I did it the easy way, I used an Aristo shortie tank car. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)