Large Scale Central

LGB Christmas theme engine # 25171

Hello
I have this Christmas theme engine # 25171
Could anyone tell me about this engine and what it does ( sound, smoke )
How well it works ( how many cars can it pull)
Thanks
Sean

Well, the parts manual doesn’t show any sound equipment nor smoke unit.

https://www.onlytrains.com/manuals/25171-1.pdf

And in the video I found, the locomotive doesn’t smoke nor make any synthesized sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKbYV3hsy7M

As for the number of cars, that would depend on what kind of cars, if the track is flat or on a grade and such.

well, tecnically it is a 2017 americanized stainz with two motors.

meaning:

on flat (till 2%) it should draw 20 to 24 aixles without problems. using no more than 4Amps.

(on grades of 6% they draw 16 to 18 aixles)

edit: these numbers i reached with loco and tender weighted to nearly five pound each. (2,300 grams each)

(https://www.largescalecentral.com/public/album_photo/cb/4e/02/24a7f_708e.jpg?c=e03d)Seams he has some interest … should hold up fine…

There’s 2 motors in there? Or does it come with a motorized tender?

Korm Kormsen said:

well, tecnically it is a 2017 americanized stainz with two motors.

meaning:

on flat (till 2%) it should draw 20 to 24 aixles without problems. using no more than 4Amps.

(on grades of 6% they draw 16 to 18 aixles)

edit: these numbers i reached with loco and tender weighted to nearly five pound each. (2,300 grams each)

I was wondering where the numbers came from, thanks for explaining that. My one motor LGBs can do 6-10 axles on my 2.58% grade but only if I remove the skates, A.K.A. rail brakes.

Sorry guys, but this engine comes in a set without a tender so there is only one motor!! And being LGB the 1 amp starter set power pack will run it all day.

Older units have the smoke switch on the bottom under the stack. Newer engines have smoke controlled by the switch in the cab.

Pulling power would be less (approx. 1/2) than stated above as there is no powered tender.

PS, Sean is 2 miles form me and I have seen this set!! Am I sure, YES as I sold it to him!!

Dan Pierce said:

Sorry guys, but this engine comes in a set without a tender so there is only one motor!! …

well, in that case i would say, about 8 aixles on flat and about 6 on grades over 2%.

if weighted to 4 pounds, about 10 aixles and maybe 8 on grades.

The smoke unit is very disappointing…

Yea, they tend to be.

If you can retrofit one of LGB’s 5 volt stabilization boards, along with the correct headlight bulbs and new smoke unit, those smoke better than the 18vt units. Of coarse you can just make the train longer, which will require more voltage to pull at a given speed and help the smoke unit do better. Even with poor smoke, its nearly impossible to beat the robustness/bulletproof power chassis in those models. I know the actual Stainz got the 5vt constant lighting and better smoke unit later in its life span, but did LGB even do the Americanized version with those upgrades? This I do not know. Mike

American versions are 2X17X OR 2X15X. X can be 0-9 And on very old engines the number can be just 4 digits and starts with 2 for engine.