Large Scale Central

Trees at Walmart

Found these mini live trees at Walmart, pretty good price. Worth checking out your local store.

Word of warning about any “mini” or “dwarf” conifers. I bought 3 little trees from my local supermarket 13 years ago. They looked cute and ideal for my fledgling railway. What I didn’t check was what, in the UK at least, is the 10 year expected growth estimate that most garden products like these carry. So, 10 years hence I’m looking at a very similar looking cute little conifer in my local garden centre and decide to look at the label planted in its pot. It says - expected 10 year growth 18’. Yeah, that’s about right, every time I look out of my bedroom window on the 2nd floor there they are waving at me (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)They can grow to 40’ or more, eventually, so it says on the Royal Horticultural Society web site.

“Dwarf” conifers are just slow or very slow growers, they can still get to be very non scale tall timber. Remember a tree is not just for Christmas.

After and before in pictures. The little itty bitty tree in the foreground, in the right picture is how it started out. The tree on the left is how it grew in 10 years.

Chris, those did not live in Nebraska, so doubt they would here in Kansas, but could try. I keep my dwarf conifers trimmed pretty good, about twice a year or so and trim off the new buds in the spring.