Large Scale Central

aristo alco rs-3 smoke unit

I have 2 aristo rs-3s 1 is older the smoke unit works fine pours out smoke like crazy . fan did work but quit but still lots of smoke ( vary happy) the other was newer weights more head 2 axels with rubber tires it was new but ran and quit, sent it back to factory thay fixed it and paid to get rid of the rubber wheels . it will try and puff a little smoke out sometimes . also bought a new replacement smoke unit of e bay . does the same . hook up wires to it out of engine to track smokes fine . is there any way to get more power and amps to unit on the newer rs-3 to work like the older one . it is atsf 2099 the newer one is b & m 1513 witch is my most liked loco . thanks in advance bobgfla ps both were new when bought .

Warning, the one with the quit fan will melt down.

There were 2 fan units, the big one with the hose, and the smaller compact all in one unit.

Not great smokers, and if they start smoking well, that normally means the regulation circuit is gone and it will melt down.

Greg

wonder what the outcome was

Greg Elmassian said:

wonder what the outcome was

You already know Greg along with a few others so you are not alone! Perhaps other forums have the answer?

“Click HERE” for Greg­’s web sit­e is not really needed as the con·“greg”·tion is already headed your way !

Is that the Rio Grande next week?? Or the Atlantic from Mexico to Europe? He He He

Aristo smoke units, the newer ones with the microprocessor, are known to make great smoke just before they (literally) melt down.

On the RS-3, old style, just a heating element and fan, and I think there was a regulated supply, have to look, but I think they make great smoke when the regulator gives up and sends full track voltage to the fan and the 5 volt heating element!

Greg

so my atsf rs-3 must have a bad regulater …but the b and m it must still work . wish I could get in there and disable it . but don.t want to tere engine apart just for that.

I agree, just watch it, I have pictures somewhere of an overheated smoke unit melting the body…

The RS-3 is one of the more complex locos to disassemble. I have detailed step by step on my site when you do take it apart.

Greg