Large Scale Central

Random signing out

I am still suffering from random acts of being signed out when I go to the LSC website. It happened twice in the last week, including just now. Not very difficult to sign back in, but still irritating.

That happens to me about 3-4 times a month. I just figured it was AVG being cautious.

I just figure nobody likes me. Just kidding.

Usually but not always I get signed out if I am not active on the list.

But sometimes I get signed out in the middle of a time when I am in the middle of something. I

t just keeps me from forgetting my sign in!

if you get signed out while you are on the site, you have a problem locally… are you running multiple copies of a browser?

Greg Elmassian said:

if you get signed out while you are on the site, you have a problem locally… are you running multiple copies of a browser?

Okay, but if you get singled out while you are on the site, then what problem do you have and what are you running?

Yeah, something is definitely wrong, once you are signed in, you have a cookie, and that should stay until the cookie is deleted, or you log out.

I suspect he has some kind of utility that cleans/deletes/blocks cookies.

So, I’d need a list of all the software he has installed, and what browser he is using, and also if he is letting the computer sleep (doubtful)…

Not normal behavior…

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

…So, I’d need a list of all the software he has installed, and what browser he is using…

Yeah, and maybe he can throw a few passwords in for good measure…we always knew you were Nigerian.

Forrest Scott Wood said:

Greg Elmassian said:

Okay, but if you get singled out while you are on the site, then what problem do you have and what are you running?

Perhaps you should have asked:

Mr. Wizard!

I typically notice it after posting something.

Back to being serioous, for me the random automatic sign out seems to happen once a month usually on a Sunday night when I come back Monday morning and discover I am not signed in.

I will manually dump cookies and such on this PC at a much mre frequent interval, so that’s not the cause, at least as far as I know anything about computer things.

And the website’s cookie is on the list of ones the browser was told to leave alone.

Between Rooster and John, I wonder why I try to help anyone at all sometimes.

Forrest Scott Wood said:

Greg Elmassian said:

OK Greg excuse my humor, I removed it, answer the man.

OK, first we would need the specific browser to help specifically…

In every browser “options” or “preferences” there is a security section:

For example, in FireFox, there is a section on certificates, and that window has a tab on servers, and that is where your exceptions are stored. What you have basically done is “accept” a certificate that is not “traceable”.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1081589

The whole thing is that when you use HTTPS: you are using an encryption scheme that only the server (website) can decode… so when you send data over the internet to this server, it is encrypted. You will see this on EVERY banking site for example.

Part of the process is that you get a “public key” that tells your computer how to encrypt the data you send.

Now, how do you know that this is not bogus, like the Russians or Chinese hacking a site, and grabbing your data? The information sent to you by the server includes a “certificate”, just like it sounds, basically an electronic document saying “I’m not lying”… and this certificate has a chain of authentication to prove it is valid. If the certificate is bogus, or expired, your browser tells you.

You can see the “certificate authorities” listed in your browser… all this stuff keeps you pretty safe, i.e. your transactions on the Internet cannot be randomly “sniffed”…

So Bob wisely added this level of security to our site. He has to pay to keep the certificated up to date, but your passwords are secure. Many many people use a common password, or similar for many things. It’s just good common sense and protects you.

Thanks again Bob for doing this, likewise I have HTTPS: on my personal site and my personal email… I’ve had my site hacked once, and it won’t happen again.

Greg

For me, the random sign outs seem to happen when I go from device to device. I’m either on my PC, MacBook, iPad, or iPhone. That may or may not be the issue here, but the level of security around the logins is pretty opaque, I they do some security around the cookie they set to say youre logged in. If they’re doing some kind of comparison to device + cookie, that may be it.

Greg Elmassian said:

Between Rooster and John, I wonder why I try to help anyone at all sometimes.

(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cry.gif)