Large Scale Central

#20 goes into service today

I could no longer resist adding a Bachman C-19 to the roster and wanted to try the Revolution control system. I wanted something less complicated than the AirWire system that I have been using for several years.

We received the locomotive a few weeks ago and began converting it to an oil burner rather than a coal burner to mate up with the rest of the roster. I have got to say that I am impressed with the thought that went into the design of this locomotive. Very user friendly for us hackers and bashers to work with.

The revolution control system, to me, is very impressive for the price point and works as advertised. I bought the complete package through RCS New England (Don Sweet) and am very happy with my decision. Don bent over backwards to help an electronics novice like myself with the installation. With extreme patience and consideration he guided me through the installation, which once done and understood was pretty simple Thank you Don.

Enough hot air how about some pictures?

The main conversion work is done but still need to do some detail work and weathering but just wanted to get it on the line for the open house on the 6th of October.

#20 leaves Canyon Creek and heads up the hill with a light consist.

Arriving in Hyampom and getting ready to drop the water car for the logging camp.

Seems like our friend is still hanging on, probably hoping for a ride down the other side of the hill, afraid he is going to be out of luck, as this train is turning and going back to Canyon Creek.

After dropping the cars and taking the caboose down to the tail track, the engine is turned on the table and comes back to take the water car into the logging camp siding.

Here is a shot of #20 on the Hyampom Turntable.

Back down the hill and heading into the Redding yard, looks like our hobo was nothing more than a joy rider out for a days adventure.,

Gotta say overall I am well pleased with the operation of the Bachmann C-19 and the Revolution RC system.

Rick

Cool. Looking forward to seeing it weathered and earning its keep.

Later,

K

Marty, I love that C-19 :).I still have my Accucraft C-19 I bought new from Jonathan way back when…almost 11 years ago. Your layout is starting to get that nice “weathered” look to it now…nice “patina” :). You keep posting these stories and photos and I “might” have to get my 1:20 stuff going again. Thanks for the inspiration Buddy. :slight_smile:

I liked my C-19 so much I bought another one. Looks good Rick. I haven’t had the guts to weather mine yet. Looks too pretty all shiny and new…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Nice Rick, always good to see a new loco on the line.

Rick, I’d like to hear your “contrast” between operating the Revo vs. AirWire. I’m intrigued about your “less complicated” statement (which I personally agree with when you go beyond just running).

Don’t want to start a storm, but really like to hear your “take” on it.

Nice looking loco, probably the best Bachmann ever made, had 2 of them here running this weekend.

Greg

Looking good out on the railroad. #20 is destined to become your favorite engine. Bachmann got this one right - love mine.

I agree with Greg, I want to hear how the two systems compare, as maybe this winter my roster will be converted to whichever one I decide to get, on the fence thinking AirWire will be easiest for me with a USA loco. And I am also a very new novice to electronics and all that!

I’ll echo what everyone else has said. Love my C-19, best running locomotive I have. I want to add a couple more.

I gotta nut for a 2 truck Shay but the C-19’s that I have seen are beautiful and solid units! Just need Amtrak badging and all would be good!

Pete Lassen said:

I agree with Greg, I want to hear how the two systems compare

Well Rooster you may be outta here but I just have to comment that; If Amtrak were using C-19’s the ridership would probably be way up and they most likely would be running on time(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif).

I am not the guy to ask to make a logical, analytical, informed, comparison between AirWire and Revolution(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif). I am pretty much electronically illiterate and have no great burning desire to overcome the situation. I want to spend my train time building railroad, buildings, cars, and running trains not scratching my head trying to understand why the TX and the RX aren’t communicating because some button was accidentally pushed or not pushed.

I have been using AirWire, for what, 8-10 years, and I can mostly make it do what I want if I stick to the basics and not try to “improve” things. I have found with just a few days use, that the Revo is much easier for me to understand and use. True, it does not have all the function capability that AirWire does but “I” do not need all that extra capability to enjoy running my trains.

Did a little control distance comparison today between the two systems; Revo walked away with the trophy. I have always been pleased with the control distance that AirWire provides, still am, 125 feet line of site, but Revo out did it. Your mileage may vary.

The Revo installation on the C-19 was “plug and Play” , I think they use that term a little loosely as there are still a few connections and soldering joints to make, but not a big deal. After getting all connected, and reading the instructions I had the C-19 running on basic program in about 15 minutes. After further reading I had all the additional functions programmed in after spending another 15-20 minutes. What impressed me even more, I was able to set up a second locomotive on the same TX in about 5 minutes and have them both running, not at the same time(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif).

I am sure none of this sounds like any big deal to you that are electronically savvy, but I was able to get all this done in an hour or less and spend the rest of my day running trains and getting ready for the open house next week.

Thanks for taking a look

Rick

What did you all do to Rooster when I was gone?

Thanks for the info on the Revo. I need to change out the old battery on my Accucraft C19 and Jonathan Blues was the one who did that install over 10 years ago. But because I have to remove all the AirWire and Phoenix cards ABOVE the battery in the coal load, I’m afraid I might break either one of the cards. Instead of replacing the AirWire, I might just do a new install using Revo. Can you show a few photos of your installation? Those of us that are also “electrically illiterate”, might benefit from your tips and suggestions.

Great pics. I really like that water car.