Large Scale Central

LGB switch sizes

When I had the outdoor layout I really wasn’t concerned about LGB witch sizes. Now that I have a switching layout under development, I am.

Can I measure the length of the the LGB switch and tell what the switch number is? I called up LGB switches and saw measurements for switch sizes from Greg but no mention of getting switch numbers from switch length. Maybe my poor eyesight missed it!

Does anyone know if my thought is right or am I offtrack?

I seem to remember someone talking about the size by the number of ties. I just went out and l measured my LGB R5 (15 or 16ft diameter) switch.It has 23 ties on the main line. The length of the through rail is 23 5/8" and from outside through rail to outside diverging rail is 5 1/8". I also have a Piko R7 which is a about 10ft radius curve, and it is also 23 5/8 long but the width is 6 5/8" it should be about the same as a LGB. Hope that gives you something to go on.

All LGB switches are really metric as are all other products from Europe . R1 is 300mm. r3 is 600mm. So a 1 foot long straight switch portion is approx. a 4 foot circle.

300mm is just under 12 inches.

the 1200mm straight is really close to 47 3/8 inches. Most people in the USA round off in inches, but for long runs the metric measurements are right on.

i ignore, if LGB changed the R3 switch model later, but the R3 switches from the '80ies and earlier are 440 mm long.