Large Scale Central

Truck Springs new solution?

Truck springs (Aristocraft) popped out of the side frame of one of my coboosees. I hate this Old problem, such a pain in the ars to get those back in. I Found both springs and put thread through them (so when they shoot across the room, easier to track). I tried all the old tricks with X-acto blades, tweezers, small clamps, surgical tools, tacky glue, very small vice grips, blue tape, etc. I’ve been doing this for many years, but at 70 plus, poor sight, arthritic fingers; more than two hours later I made no progress. So frustrating.

My lovely patient wife walks in (wanting her dining room table back) and says “let me help”. Has me hold the truck frame and with two of her long lovely fingernails squeezes the spring, and slides both springs into place with her nail on other hand. “That wasn’t so hard?” I just didn’t have the right accessories. Thanks, honey. I offered her a free manicure at salon of her choice while I visit a saloon of my choice. She puts up with a lot from model railroading activities, that was a big help.

Does someone make spring holder clamps that work as well as that?

Warner Swarner

I am bit older than you Warner but my reading glasses usually suffice for that type of challenge. I still just manage with a pair of tweezers, kept for the task, I did try the knife method but considered it dangerous especially with my old hands. My wife doesn’t have long nails: I make sure she works them down to the bone! (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Hey guys not sure if you have ever seen this tool from micro mark. It’s got a flat end that has a bump on either side. You just poke it into the spring sit it where you want compress, release in place and pull it out.

For our larger springs I envision taking a piece of brass strip and adding a solder blob to each side to scale the design up to a usable size.

Although I think Warner has come up with a great way to get our better halves involved in the hobby!

Warner Swarner said:

Does someone make spring holder clamps that work as well as that?

Warner Swarner

Yes, however they probably aren’t as good looking, will not argue back telling you that you’re wrong, not to mention if you take them to bed they might might be a little hard to find in the morning. Personally it sounds like you got the ultimate spring holder now all you need is your own dinning room table and problem solved!