Large Scale Central

Revolution RX antenna

Has anyone ever extended the antenna on a Revolution RX? I have one I want to put into my Goose #5, which is brass. I want to get the antenna outside the box somewhere. I know the wavelength for the 2.4 band is around 122mm, so, theoretically, I could make some kind of diploe of around 61mm each side. That might let me get the antenna somewhere useful.

Bob

I would think that a call to Navin would get you the best answer.

Tom

Bob.

Don’t fiddle around with the fitted antenna. You will screw up the range completely.

You can buy proper long range rx antennas specifically for 2.4 Ghz.

Andy Rutter at Micron R/C in the UK sells them Micron R/C
Scroll down to the bottom of the page. The cable is shielded and only the last little bit actually is the receiving part.

Problem is for after market, unless the Revolution has the correct socket on the pcb, you will not be able to plug them in.

You might also try local R/C hobby shops where 2.4 Ghz is very common.

Hi Bob, did you try a range test placing the REVO RX inside.? I am amazed how well it works inside metal body locos. With #5 have windows maybe the range will be okay.

Don

Try it as is first as Don suggests, but there are lots of aftermarket antennas too. You could indeed make an external dipole, but it would most likely be horizontal, not a good radiation pattern… (yes, I know it is receiving)

If you need a particular socket, I probably have one.

greg

Had some time this weekend to experiment. On the bench, closed up, it seems to work, and I could get link on the other side of the basement. So, possibly, crisis averted.

Now, to get a sound card for this thing. It’s a PITA to open up, so I should do it all at once.