Large Scale Central

Restore Paint Luster

Is there any way to restore paint luster for plastic rolling stock that has been outdoors?

Thanks

Stan

Armorall???

They make all kinds of material restorers. Just an idea.

It’s what I use… usually restores fading.

Greg

So…, we’re not into weathering, anymore?

Since many cars have colored plastic vs paint, this might be your cat’s meow…

I try many of these formulas, for this type of use, and on my cars, since I tend to keep them a while.

The plastic restorer stuff often is too rough on paint just as a warning, the way they seem to work is removing the oxidized outer layer of material. As John pointed out, solid plastic with no printing or paint gives good results, but otherwise might be too strong.

I had one for rubber trim, but the cloth always came back black, it always looked nice, but it was removing a layer of material each application… changed over to products that “self limit”, which I think means only attack oxidized material… but that is a theory…

So like everything get some, and test it in a “safe” place.

Greg

Hasn’t the sun already made it a layer on top of the color?

Try spraying instead of wiping for a ‘truer’ reaction of the affect on the oxidized layer …

I had some black rubber that made one black, just looking at it! (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

Yeah, I’d use a cut up donor car for tests … good advice.

Actually, the oxidized layer is part of the original plastic / surface… yes on top, but the distinction I was trying to make is that paint/printing is so thin, that removing the oxidized layer might remove the paint/printing entirely.

So, if paint is thick, normally you are ok, but thin paint, and/or pad printing have to be careful. And yes, I agree, spraying and not abrading the surface is safest.

Greg

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this.

The spray products seem to warn against using on painted surfaces. Is there a recommended product for factory painted models.

Thanks

Stan

According to the Armorall site itself, under the FAQs, they state it will not harm paint.

Greg

Greg

Which Armorall product do you use to restore faded areas for painted plastic models. They have a lot of products.

Stan

The standard, original Armorall (says original formula on the bottle) … it works for me, and it also has UV sunscreen in it. I have heard all the horror stories and naysayers.

I was alive when the stuff was invented, and it indeed hardened some vinyl plastic. Those days, vinyl dashboards, and that formulation are long gone.

Also tested and used for many years is the similar turtle wax product in the lime green spray bottle: (oops they toned down the green, used to be lime)

Greg