Large Scale Central

Bachmann Climax Drop In Sound?

Are there any decent sound only drop in boards made for the Bachmann Climax? We are not looking for a DCC board if we can avoid it.

Thanks Jon.

There are no standalone sound systems that are designed to plug into the “socket” in the bunker of the Climax. Having said that, a standalone sound system (Phoenix, Dallee, MyLocoSound) can easily be wired to the “dummy plug” that plugs into the socket. You need power from the track, and sound out to the speakers; both of which should have solder pads on the dummy plug for you to use. Add a back-up power battery to the sound system, and you’re all set. What you would not have in that case would be triggers for bell or whistle. You’d have to run the wires to magnetic sensors on the trucks for those yourself. That’s how I tested the MyLocoSound sound boards for GR recently. I used the dummy plug from my 2-6-0 to connect to the boards, and just plugged everything in once it was wired up.

Later,

K

It looks like the only drop in board is the Bachmann AE32023 DCC Sound Board #86093-99. I guess that would work but can you run it in DC mode with sound?

Thanks, Jon.

Just got off the phone with Bob at Bachmann. It looks like their drop in board can be configured to run as DCC or DC. Both options have the sound.

Jon.

Kevin Strong said:

There are no standalone sound systems that are designed to plug into the “socket” in the bunker of the Climax. Having said that, a standalone sound system (Phoenix, Dallee, MyLocoSound) can easily be wired to the “dummy plug” that plugs into the socket. You need power from the track, and sound out to the speakers; both of which should have solder pads on the dummy plug for you to use. Add a back-up power battery to the sound system, and you’re all set. What you would not have in that case would be triggers for bell or whistle. You’d have to run the wires to magnetic sensors on the trucks for those yourself. That’s how I tested the MyLocoSound sound boards for GR recently. I used the dummy plug from my 2-6-0 to connect to the boards, and just plugged everything in once it was wired up.

Later,

K

Thanks for the info Kevin. This engine isn’t one of mine and the owner didn’t want to spend the money on a Phoenix board. I hadn’t thought about Dallee but when I looked it up the cost of their sound only boards were the same as the Bachmann drop in board so I ordered one. I’ll post a follow up after we get it installed and tested.

Jon.

Basically all modern “motor and sound” DCC decoders will run in DC mode.

You have to leave the shorting plug in place if you want to just “add” sound, and leave the loco DC, because the shorting plug is what connects the track pickups to the motors.

Do prepare your customer/friend that it will take a higher voltage to start, since you have to get the “brains” of the decoder powered up before it can make sound and move… somewhere between 5 and 7 volts… tell him beforehand and that will avoid confusion and upset.

Other than position of the throttle, normally this does not affect anything EXCEPT if he is running another loco from the same DC throttle at the same time, then the non-decoder equipped loco will run faster…

Set the expectations first, cannot tell you how many people are upset when this happens because they did not know up front.

Greg