Large Scale Central

Another decoder question

So, I am working on a couple of small items, one of which is the VW bus. I’m also doing another off the Bachmann speeder block. I assume I am not going to need a high amp G-scale decoder to make them run, so can I get away with a less expensive HO decoder, or something of the sort?

Absolutely. You’re likely not going to find a suitable sound for a VW bus, so I’d go with a non-sound chip. (Even cheaper.) Just be careful of the voltage limits on the decoders to make sure your track voltage doesn’t exceed them.

For sound, check out the R/C car sites. My daughter’s friend is into that scene, and was telling me about the sound systems he has for his cars, very similar to the sounds for our trains. I haven’t looked much further into that yet beyond a quick Google search, but it’s something to think about.

Later,

K

Thanks. It’s a place to start…

So far, I have been unable to find out what voltage the various decoders run on. The spec sheets all list amps, but not volts.

They should specify the maximum voltage, if not, don’t use them.

I’d recommend a Zimo MX645 or similar, they had a sound file too…

Greg

Yes, there is a Zimo sound file for the VW bus that ran on the RR.

The MX645 is a 30 volt/1.2 amp 3 watt audio decoder. there is one programmable input.

Volume can be remotely controlled via CV 395-397.

You can also control 2 servos and many lights.

So, when a Hi Railer, like the WV, comes to a crossing, does it have to signal? The input could be used to trigger that. You know, have the driver frantically blowing the horn, so that critter on the track freezes in fear and…splat!!