Large Scale Central

Realistic smoke for steam locomotives

While on a trip to Europe recently to ride and run steam I stopped by the Lenz GmbH factory. Since one of the topics discussed here is about realistic smoke for steam locomotives and hile at Lenz we discussed how they did their smoke effects I thought it might be useful to share what I learned.

For background Lenz produces 0 scale steam locomotives and was the first company to design locomotives in concert with the electronics rather then the electronics being an add on.

This is one reason their locomotives constantly get awards and very high marks for how well they operate. They are also know for there smoke effects. Following is how they do it.

1. the actual smoke generator draws less then 300 ma. It is on continuously when smoke is desired. The design uses capillary action to draw smoke fluid up through the heater to produce smoke.

2. inside the locomotive there is a large hollow sealed cavity inside the weight. On one end is the smoke stack which screws into the weight and the other end is a fan. The intent is that this cavity is only filled at most half way leaving a large amount of space to collect and hold the smoke.

3. a small fan is pulsed by the decoder timed to the motor movement which is synced to the movement of the pistons. What is desired is a strong short burst at slow speeds and a less strong briefer burst as the locomotive speeds up.

4. the inside of the smoke stack is shaped to provide the maximum puff effect. Apparently they do this uniquely for each locomotive to get the maximum effect.

The above might provide someone with 3D printing some insight on how to design a similar concept for large scale. I think the same low current smoke generator is used in the the good cuffing European steam locomotives. What is missing is the concept of a large reservoir tied to the inside of a smoke stack and powered by a small but strong fan.

Hopefully this will provide some insight to those that wish to build something similar.

Stan

I’d love to see a video of this in action.

I’m thinking that the reservoir is to allow a lower current heater, which is nice, but retrofitting something like that to an existing loco is most likely problematic.

I’d guess that the stack contour is like a nozzle focusing the smoke, but funny thing is just last night I was watching a number of videos on real locomotives and realized that what I have seen, a narrow jet of smoke up high is not what real locos did, it was a much broader column of smoke not 10 stories high.

Of course that means a greater volume of smoke, and a way to get the volume out without using supersonic velocity.

Anyway, interesting stuff, if you can find videos of the results that would be great to link the design to the result.

Greg

p.s. one thing that sort of doesn’t make sense is a less strong pulse at higher speeds, that is definitely not what happens with a prototype (I’ll bet that is because they only have a limited amount of smoke and higher speeds eats the reserve up)

just thinking…

as 0 scale locos are smaller, would there be a probability, to buy the whole system as spares and insert the complete assembly into the larger boilers of our locos?

https://youtu.be/4k1h5FMKPyg

Sorry, can’t find Preview:-(

Korm, I would guess that your link was to a place that is “gone” on the new forum, it was moved.

Some things on the home page are broken or missing now.

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

Korm, I would guess that your link was to a place that is “gone” on the new forum, it was moved.

Some things on the home page are broken or missing now.

Greg

thanks. i think it must be just that.

when i tried to go a page (or some) back, it didn’t work.

but when i searched the marked link and used that, it worked.

Weird, my post on another thread showed up here… I have seen this before… but weird.

and i answered, without even noticing, we were sitting on the wrong tree.

must be the new, EU-data protection conform setups, that cause these things…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

Also in Gauge 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV0zZu3PQUA

Sadly, the company that builds these incredible models does not make stuff at the lower end of the market. The Br42 loco in the movie is around eu3000.

tac

OVGRS

Don Howard said:

Sorry, can’t find Preview:-(

It needed the “S” in the url.

even to the smoke from the fireman’s cigarette/cigar… wow… although the smoke from the cylinders just lies on the ground like fog… I fear we will never reproduce steam or smoke…

I wonder how good that stuff is to breathe on a regular basis in that closed room though…

All in all, quite impressive but of course they don’t service the lower end of the market, you can’t do all that cheaply!

Greg

Sure is cool looking. Maybe some day it will come to Large scle. Later RJD

If you have enough money, you could make it happen in large scale sooner then later. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)