Large Scale Central

Bachmann Connie Question

I am working on a Bachmann Connie and find that the coil spring above the number 4 driver is weak and bottoms out. They appear to be sold out at Bachmann. - - Any suggestion on a source for a replacement?

Thanks for your help.

Ken

Options are:

Purchase a junk Connie to use as parts.

measure the diameter of the spring, diameter of the wire, and free length of a good spring and see if your local hardware store something that will work.

The last option is to sen a good spring to a spring manufacturer and have them evaluate it. Then you can see what they have that is close in their stock catalog. Although the more difficult,this is the path I would follow. I would also replace all the springs as they are also part of the electrical pick up for track power. I am guessing this spring may have gotten a heavy current at one time overheating the spring and weakening it.

Good luck.

Bob C.

For springs, you might take a look at McMaster-Carr. They have a pretty good selection and quick delivery - at least on the East Coast.

Bob and Bruce,

Thanks for your suggestions. I’ll have a go at them and see what I can come up with. I was not aware that the springs are part of the electrical pickup system. I’ve got a great deal to learn, especially concerning the electrical systems of the locomotives. - - For me, McMaster-Carr may be the first place I’ll take a look at for replacements.

Thanks again,

Welcome Kenneth !

Rooster,

Thanks for your welcome message. - I ‘lurk’ on the website fairly often in an effort to pick up some helpful suggestions. I have a fairly large learning curve ahead but that challenge keeps things interesting.

Kenneth Matzick said:

I have a fairly large learning curve ahead but that challenge keeps things interesting.

Yep, me too as I’m always learning . Lurk less and post more as there are no masters/experts of any hobby as far as I’m concerned. We all have learning curves and challenges ahead of us whether we recognize it or not.

LSC is a great place to share period!