Large Scale Central

June 6, 1944

Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Forces:

You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on other Fronts you will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.

Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle-hardened. He will fight savagely.

But this is the year 1944. Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of 1940-41. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats, in open battle, man-to-man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground. Our Home Fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men. The tide has turned. The free men of the world are marching together to victory.

I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty, and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory.

Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.

My Father in law ready to participate in Operation Overlord…

He was a member of the 304th Combat Engineer Battalion. Part of the 79th Inf. Div.

79th Inf. Div. going over the seawall on Utah beach…

Some didn’t make it. My Father in law SSGT Louise Barberis did.

"The free men of the world are marching together to victory.

I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty, and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory.

Good Luck!..

Thanks so very much to all those who have in the past and are today, serving and giving their lives to keep this country free.

“… And let us all beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.”

Already, 74 years ago today, many thousands of British, Canadians, Americans and many other nations had given their all, and passed the flame on to their brothers-in-arms to take up the fight.

Thankfully, my Uncle Geoff, a sniper in the Queens Own Royal Rifles of Canada, was not one of them, as he struggled in the breaking waves with his rifle over one shoulder and his bicycle over the other, into the murderous machine gun fire and sand and shingle-covered minefields.

Spare a a thought for him, and all his brothers in your daily affairs.

Bless 'em all.

tac

Souvenons-nous de ce qui entrait sur en France Du nord, il y a 74 années cette minute… au cas où n’importe qui a besoin d’une allusion, c’était la plus grande invasion amphibie dans l’histoire entière de la race humaine, tout faits dans le nom de liberté.

Déjà, il y a 74 années aujourd’hui, beaucoup de milliers d’Anglais, les Canadiens, Américains et beaucoup d’autres nations avaient donné leur tout, et a transmis la flamme à leurs frères d’armes pour prendre la bagarre.

Avec reconnaissance, mon Oncle Geoff, un tireur embusqué de la Régiment RRC, n’en était pas d’eux, comme il a lutté dans les vagues du brisement avec son fusil sur une épaule et sa bicyclette sur l’autre, dans le feu de la mitrailleuse meurtrier et sable et champs de mines bardeau-couverts.

Épargnez un une pensée pour lui, et tous ses frères dans vos affaires journalières.

Bénissez-les tous.

tac

My dad made it, came home, made me, and went off to the Korean war, made it home… not all made it, and it was tough on many of the survivors.

I was lucky that my number was not called for Viet Nam, a bunch of my friends from high school went.

Greg

My father was on the other side of the world, on Adak Island, Alaska, in the Aleutian chain, listening to the Japanese. My Uncle John was on the USS Mullany (DD 528) fighting off kamikaze during the Battle of Okinawa.

I have been to many of those sites several years ago on a tour conducted by ASME (Military Engineers) and the quide was a knowledgeable Army Engineer. I me the most moving site is the Cemetery at Omaha Beach. You have to be there to see it and feel it! There are now a number of Memorials in the area noe as well.

Paul Austin

Since Bob took Ikes address to the allied army I will just add something for our friends in France on this day.

Shortly before the D-Day landings of 6 June 1944, Radio London broadcast the first stanza of Paul Verlaine’s poem “Chanson d’automne” to let the resistance know that the invasion would begin within 24 hours.

Les sanglots longs
Des violons
De l’automne
Blessent mon cœur
D’une langueur
Monotone.

Blessent mon cœur d’une langueur monotone (“wound my heart with a monotonous languor”) was the specific call to action.

Viva la Resistance… Viva la France!