Forums Modeling Motive Power
  • Topic: Milwaukee F units on EBAY

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • April 25, 2018 9:12 AM EDT
      • Gig Harbor, WA

• Thanks

Milwaukee F units on EBAY

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-Trains-Milwaukee-Road-F7-AB-Set-MTH-Sounds-USED/202297825419?hash=item2f19e3d88b:g:MaQAAOSwatda38g6

I sure would like to know who made those grilles.   Anyone have a clue?

Paul Burch

Sierra Cascade & Pacific RR

• April 25, 2018 4:05 PM EDT
      • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

• Thanks

Someone on here was looking to make those kind of grills for the USA locomotives. Several of us expressed interest, and then the idea just sort of faded away.

Shannon car Shops
      Home of the infamous leg lamp

I.A.R.R.R. Member #12

and King Butt Modeler

• April 25, 2018 7:50 PM EDT
      • Gig Harbor, WA

• Thanks

That was Michael Glavin. The samples he got were not satisfactory so the project got dropped. At least for now.  I just e-mailed with Michael, he has a lead on who made the ones for the F7's on Ebay.  I would by four sets for my ABBA in a heart beat.

This post was edited by Paul Burch at April 25, 2018 7:50 PM EDT

Paul Burch

• April 25, 2018 10:11 PM EDT
      • West Glocester, Rhode Island

• Thanks

I contacted the eBay seller and here's his reply:

New message from: fox_valley_trains
      Hi, Friend of mine in the UK had the grills made several years ago...and no more available. But USA Trains is supposed to be revamping the F3 molds into F7's for sale either later this year or early next year.

Chuck

Thingiverse Icon Instagram Icon

• April 26, 2018 10:49 AM EDT
      • Gig Harbor, WA

• Thanks

I first heard directly from a USA representative around 2010 at The Big Train Show in Ontario California that they were thinking of redoing the F3's.  New grilles,  removable dynamic brake casting to allow for different configurations, etc.   Roughly eight years of thinking.  We will see.

Paul Burch

• April 26, 2018 12:34 PM EDT

•  
      • Thanks

Well, Aristo's consolidation which was during the "heyday" of large scale:

2004 - first mention they would be building one

2008 - first promised date for delivery

2011 - first delivery

That's 7 years in the "good old days"....

Greg

Be sure­ to visit ­my site, l­ots of tec­hnical tip­s and modi­fications,­ and you c­an search ­for topics­ and key w­ords.

­Click HERE for Greg­'s web sit­e
      PLEASE NOT­E: Please do NOT use private messaging, i­f you have­ a questio­n, feel fr­ee to emai­l me priva­tely, u­se regular­ email onl­y: greg@el­massian.co­m

• April 26, 2018 1:27 PM EDT
      • Port Orchard, Washington

• Thanks

What about the SW1500? Still waiting...

• April 26, 2018 2:57 PM EDT

•  
      • Thanks

Hah!

Since Lewis passed away on the 23rd probably not going to happen.

Be sure­ to visit ­my site, l­ots of tec­hnical tip­s and modi­fications,­ and you c­an search ­for topics­ and key w­ords.

PLEASE NOT­E: Please do NOT use private messaging, i­f you have­ a questio­n, feel fr­ee to emai­l me priva­tely, u­se regular­ email onl­y: greg@el­massian.co­m

• April 26, 2018 11:20 PM EDT

• Thanks

Honestly, IMHO, it's not going to matter.  As the prices of SLA printers decline, Quality scale models of ANY locomotive in ANY scale will become extremely cheap.  Over a year ago, I printed a 1:29 scale SW1500 (sans powered trucks) for about $27 with my FDM printer.  For those who don't know, FDM printing requires a good amount of post processing to achive a smooth finished model.  SLA printers produce a much better finished (resin) model.  Mark my words, within the next few years...

http://www.largescalecentral.com/FileSharing/user_2332/General/IMAG0084rs.jpg

• April 27, 2018 12:15 AM EDT
      • Milpitas, California

• Thanks

I'd love to have a Large Scale SW1500 switcher. Southern Pacific, please. Just like the SW1500 Athearn HO version. 

• April 27, 2018 6:21 PM EDT
      • Lunenburg , Massachusetts

• Thanks

Very nice model Dan.

• April 27, 2018 6:33 PM EDT

•  
      • Thanks

So if I don't want to spend a lot of time with self-levelling primers and car bodies that look like miniature versions of diamond plate, I should buy an SLA now?

Greg

• April 27, 2018 7:00 PM EDT
      • Not one of the WannaBe's,

• Thanks

Dan Gilchrist said:

Honestly, IMHO, it's not going to matter.  As the prices of SLA printers decline, Quality scale models of ANY locomotive in ANY scale will become extremely cheap.  Over a year ago, I printed a 1:29 scale SW1500 (sans powered trucks) for about $27 with my FDM printer.  For those who don't know, FDM printing requires a good amount of post processing to achive a smooth finished model.  SLA printers produce a much better finished (resin) model.  Mark my words, within the next few years...

http://www.largescalecentral.com/FileSharing/user_2332/General/IMAG0084rs.jpg

As nice as that looks Dan, you almost have me researching the available equipment. Can you break that down into pieces for assembly from the file you created?

• April 27, 2018 7:19 PM EDT

• Thanks

Greg Elmassian said:

So if I don't want to spend a lot of time with self-levelling primers and car bodies that look like miniature versions of diamond plate, I should buy an SLA now?

Greg

Short Answer: Yes.   I've have an eye on this one https://shop.ogadget.com/products/sparkmaker

This post was edited by Dan Gilchrist at April 27, 2018 7:32 PM EDT

• April 27, 2018 7:58 PM EDT
      • Port Orchard, Washington

• Thanks

The material I use from Shapeways prints down to 16 micron steps or 0.0016" steps. This still has minor stepping depending on how it is set up. This style printer runs in the $80,000 range. Until home printing get to that fine of resolution, I keep outsourcing my prints.

• April 27, 2018 8:02 PM EDT

• Thanks

todd whittier said:

Very nice model Dan.

Thanks Todd.  I'm not sure what to do with it now as even though I printed at 60 micron resolution, it would require hours of tedious filling and sanding to smooth the surfaces.  Also, it's printed in PLA (corn starch based plastic) so I'm not sure how well it would stand up to outside elements.  For now it's just a showpiece for folks to see a bigger 3d printed object.

• April 27, 2018 11:04 PM EDT

•  
      • Thanks

I wonder what quality level you can get for 2,000 to 4,000? Something that does not need a lot of finishing is what I want.

• April 27, 2018 11:35 PM EDT

• Thanks

Greg Elmassian said:

I wonder what quality level you can get for 2,000 to 4,000? Something that does not need a lot of finishing is what I want.

In the 3d printer world, spending more $$$ doesn't Nessesarily get you better finished quality.  It gets you larger print area and speed.  I belive it took me almost 2 weeks printing 24/7 to print all the parts for that SW1500 on my $500 Printerbot.  A $3000 ultimaker would be faster but you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Forums Modeling Motive Power

Icon Legend

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google