Forums Modeling Tools and Tips
  • Topic: Better test rollers?

    Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • March 19, 2018 10:33 PM EDT
      • West Glocester, Rhode Island
         
      • Posts
        263
      • Thanks
        24
      • Thanked
        45

      Better test rollers?

      My test track is only 10 ft so I decided to make a set of rollers like the Bachman EZ Riders.  I brought one to the Greenberg show this past weekend to see what Don Sweet thought of it.  He mentioned the Aristocraft ones are not very stable and suggested I notch the base to fit over the track.  This is what I came up with.

      I'm looking for comments / suggestions to improve this design.  Obviously, the plastic does not conduct power so these would be for battery powered locos (or you could attach leads).   I've thought about possibly making them adjustable for O scale but these bearings may be too big.  Also, maybe I should add a handle on the side to aid in adjusting them?

      ____________________________________

      Thingiverse Icon Instagram Icon

    • March 19, 2018 10:53 PM EDT
      • Carlsbad, CA
         
      • Posts
        7,297
      • Thanks
        100
      • Thanked
        462

      make them conduct is the key thing.

       

      only make the center part below, then it will work on different rail head widths

       

      Make it tight fit to the inside of the rails, like the Bachmann, so they don't slip.

       

      Greg

      ____________________________________

      Be sure­ to visit ­my site, l­ots of tec­hnical tip­s and modi­fications,­ and you c­an search ­for topics­ and key w­ords.


      ­Click HERE for Greg­'s web sit­e
      PLEASE NOT­E: Please do NOT use private messaging, i­f you have­ a questio­n, feel fr­ee to emai­l me priva­tely, u­se regular­ email onl­y: greg@el­massian.co­m

    • March 19, 2018 11:19 PM EDT
      • West Glocester, Rhode Island
         
      • Posts
        263
      • Thanks
        24
      • Thanked
        45

      Greg Elmassian said:

      make them conduct is the key thing.

      I'm experimenting with a flat U shaped spring.

      only make the center part below, then it will work on different rail head widths

      That was my original design but the notch seems more stable.  It's snug but slides nicely on my Aristo and LGB code 332 so wouldn't it fit all gauge 1?

      Make it tight fit to the inside of the rails, like the Bachmann, so they don't slip.

      How wide is the part that extends below the rails?  Mine is snug now @ 44mm but I was thinking of adding a small ridge so it snaps on to the railheads.

       

      This post was edited by Dan Gilchrist at March 19, 2018 11:19 PM EDT
      ____________________________________

      Thingiverse Icon Instagram Icon

    • March 19, 2018 11:39 PM EDT
      • Carlsbad, CA
         
      • Posts
        7,297
      • Thanks
        100
      • Thanked
        462

      A small ridge, or an angle might work on different size rails. Worth trying on code 250 and 215 track.

       

      Thinking more clearly, if you make the slots wide enough for 332, then smaller rail will still fit, just not touch the outer sides.

       

      The ridge might be better served as a continuous angle, so it work irrespective of rail head height.

       

      Greg

      ____________________________________

      Be sure­ to visit ­my site, l­ots of tec­hnical tip­s and modi­fications,­ and you c­an search ­for topics­ and key w­ords.


      ­Click HERE for Greg­'s web sit­e
      PLEASE NOT­E: Please do NOT use private messaging, i­f you have­ a questio­n, feel fr­ee to emai­l me priva­tely, u­se regular­ email onl­y: greg@el­massian.co­m

    • March 20, 2018 11:48 AM EDT
      • Southern Oregon
         
      • Posts
        1,344
      • Thanks
        3
      • Thanked
        179

       

       

      Dan,

      That looks like a great and inexpensive solution to an old issue.

      but keep in mind the old saw about "design by committee"

      http://shepleywood.com/january-the-rope-swing/

    • March 20, 2018 4:57 PM EDT

      •  
      • Posts
        2,500
      • Thanks
        48
      • Thanked
        14

      Dan,

      That would solve a problem I have!

      I need a set of rollers and could care less if they conduct!  I'ma Dark-Side Battery Guy!

      ps. I'm VERY interested in obtaining a set if you make the available :)

    • March 20, 2018 6:47 PM EDT
      • West Glocester, Rhode Island
         
      • Posts
        263
      • Thanks
        24
      • Thanked
        45

      Rick Marty said:

       

       

      Dan,

      That looks like a great and inexpensive solution to an old issue.

      but keep in mind the old saw about "design by committee"

      http://shepleywood.com/january-the-rope-swing/

      Haha.  yes, but this is one of the great benefits of 3d printing.  I can easily customize for anyone's preferences.

      ____________________________________

      Thingiverse Icon Instagram Icon

    • March 20, 2018 7:14 PM EDT
      • West Glocester, Rhode Island
         
      • Posts
        263
      • Thanks
        24
      • Thanked
        45

      Cale Nelson said:

      Dan,

      That would solve a problem I have!

      I need a set of rollers and could care less if they conduct!  I'ma Dark-Side Battery Guy!

      ps. I'm VERY interested in obtaining a set if you make the available :)

      I have some others interested as well.  I'm considering putting a set on eBay to see how it goes.  Also thinking offering to LSC folks at a discount.  I found a cheaper source for the bearings and ordered 100 of them.

      ____________________________________

      Thingiverse Icon Instagram Icon

    • March 20, 2018 8:20 PM EDT
      • Sacramento, California
         
      • Posts
        630
      • Thanks
        2
      • Thanked
        15

      What was the problem you were trying to solve?  I use the Bachmann rollers on my code 250 aluminum rail, and have used them on 332 brass as well.  They pick up power fine, and roll very well.  Plus, my steam engine works fine on them.

       

       

    • March 20, 2018 8:53 PM EDT
      • West Glocester, Rhode Island
         
      • Posts
        263
      • Thanks
        24
      • Thanked
        45

      Dick Friedman said:

      What was the problem you were trying to solve?  I use the Bachmann rollers on my code 250 aluminum rail, and have used them on 332 brass as well.  They pick up power fine, and roll very well.  Plus, my steam engine works fine on them.

      Not trying to solve a problem.  Just wondering if the design can be improved.  As an owner of the Bachimann rolllers, is there nothing you would change about them? 

       

      ____________________________________

      Thingiverse Icon Instagram Icon

    • March 20, 2018 9:02 PM EDT
      • Carlsbad, CA
         
      • Posts
        7,297
      • Thanks
        100
      • Thanked
        462

      Can you beat the price of the Bachmann? (street price not list)... also they did do something smart, by making "Static" units that do not roll but bring power... great for steamers, and of course trailing and leading trucks.

       

      Greg

      ____________________________________

      Be sure­ to visit ­my site, l­ots of tec­hnical tip­s and modi­fications,­ and you c­an search ­for topics­ and key w­ords.


      ­Click HERE for Greg­'s web sit­e
      PLEASE NOT­E: Please do NOT use private messaging, i­f you have­ a questio­n, feel fr­ee to emai­l me priva­tely, u­se regular­ email onl­y: greg@el­massian.co­m

    • March 20, 2018 9:16 PM EDT
      • West Glocester, Rhode Island
         
      • Posts
        263
      • Thanks
        24
      • Thanked
        45

      I was looking at a way to make it easier to get the wheels lined up and came up with this design.  First set the loco next to the track and point the arrows at the axles then lift and drop them on the rollers and they should line up perfect.  Alternatively, you can use these "handles" to adjust.


      ____________________________________

      Thingiverse Icon Instagram Icon

    • March 20, 2018 9:57 PM EDT
      • West Glocester, Rhode Island
         
      • Posts
        263
      • Thanks
        24
      • Thanked
        45

      Greg Elmassian said:

      Can you beat the price of the Bachmann? (street price not list)... also they did do something smart, by making "Static" units that do not roll but bring power... great for steamers, and of course trailing and leading trucks.

      It seems Bachmann offers ball bearing (~$50) and non-ball bearing models (~$25).  I'm thinking about $12 + shipping to LSC members.  Possibly twice that on eBay.   It seems more and more Large scalers are going to battery so there is no need to pickup power from the track.  In fact I now question why these need the track at all!  Just to hold them in alignment I suppose.  I could incorporate a channel for a length of bar stock to hold them inline without track.  For the track power folks, I'm thinking alligator clips would provide a more positive connection and from what I've seen, a lot of folks are already using them on there test benches.

      ____________________________________

      Thingiverse Icon Instagram Icon

    • March 20, 2018 11:35 PM EDT
      • Southern Oregon
         
      • Posts
        1,344
      • Thanks
        3
      • Thanked
        179

      Stick with the track mount.  The addition of a channel for alignment will only increase the cost and raise the shipping rate.

      Most folks that order these already have track to align them on and if they don't they can go get some

      I do like the pointer/handle, good idea.

       

      Rick

    • March 21, 2018 9:46 AM EDT
      • West Glocester, Rhode Island
         
      • Posts
        263
      • Thanks
        24
      • Thanked
        45

      Rick Marty said:

      Stick with the track mount.  The addition of a channel for alignment will only increase the cost and raise the shipping rate.

      Most folks that order these already have track to align them on and if they don't they can go get some

      I do like the pointer/handle, good idea.

      My Idea is to add a channel to slip them onto a piece of 1/4"x1" aluminum bar stock and folks can go to Lowes and get the length the want. 

      ____________________________________

      Thingiverse Icon Instagram Icon

    • March 21, 2018 11:37 AM EDT
      • Carlsbad, CA
         
      • Posts
        7,297
      • Thanks
        100
      • Thanked
        462

      I'm with rick, everyone has track, and if you make them powered then you already have a power source, and "alignment jig" at no extra cost.

       

      DC track power is still the major power source for all scales... that is the way the locos come...

       

      my two cents...

       

      Greg

      ____________________________________

      Be sure­ to visit ­my site, l­ots of tec­hnical tip­s and modi­fications,­ and you c­an search ­for topics­ and key w­ords.


      ­Click HERE for Greg­'s web sit­e
      PLEASE NOT­E: Please do NOT use private messaging, i­f you have­ a questio­n, feel fr­ee to emai­l me priva­tely, u­se regular­ email onl­y: greg@el­massian.co­m

    • March 21, 2018 7:21 PM EDT
      • Southern Oregon
         
      • Posts
        1,344
      • Thanks
        3
      • Thanked
        179

      Dan Gilchrist said:
      Rick Marty said:

      Stick with the track mount.  The addition of a channel for alignment will only increase the cost and raise the shipping rate.

      Most folks that order these already have track to align them on and if they don't they can go get some

      I do like the pointer/handle, good idea.

      My Idea is to add a channel to slip them onto a piece of 1/4"x1" aluminum bar stock and folks can go to Lowes and get the length the want. 

       

      OK, I misunderstood.  You are just going to add a notch or notches so that a field supplied bar or channel can be used for a base. Right?

       

    • March 21, 2018 7:56 PM EDT
      • Post Count ,PA ,
         
      • Posts
        12,474
      • Thanks
        855
      • Thanked
        612

      Dan Gilchrist said:
      Dick Friedman said:

      What was the problem you were trying to solve?  I use the Bachmann rollers on my code 250 aluminum rail, and have used them on 332 brass as well.  They pick up power fine, and roll very well.  Plus, my steam engine works fine on them.

      Not trying to solve a problem.  Just wondering if the design can be improved.  As an owner of the Bachimann rolllers, is there nothing you would change about them? 

       

      You asked for opinions so I'm giving you one. I have the Bachmann rollers but I only use them for testing stuff that's all....yes the are not true but I personally use them for testing stuff only. I use alligator clips on them as well.

    • March 21, 2018 8:34 PM EDT
      • West Glocester, Rhode Island
         
      • Posts
        263
      • Thanks
        24
      • Thanked
        45

      OK, So I added a 1/8" x 1" channel on the bottom giving the option to use your own piece of bar stock instead of track.  This feature actually reduces the cost of production by one cent!  Now playing with a piece of brass strip stock to transfer power. 

      Can someone that owns the Bachmann (with ball bearing) answer these questions?

      1. Is the power transferred to the inner race and through the bearings to the outer race?

      2. Do the bearing spin freely?  Like if you flip it over and give it a push will it zip along like a Matchbox car?

      This post was edited by Dan Gilchrist at March 21, 2018 8:35 PM EDT
      ____________________________________

      Thingiverse Icon Instagram Icon

    • March 21, 2018 8:40 PM EDT
      • Post Count ,PA ,
         
      • Posts
        12,474
      • Thanks
        855
      • Thanked
        612

      I thought I just did ?

Forums Modeling Tools and Tips

    Icon Legend

  • Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google