Large Scale Central

Plastic Track

I have a new shed (part of a mancave system) that measures 14’ x 20’ that I can put a layout in.
It will be predominantly used for storage tracks with lines running through a roller door to an outside elevated track.
Because it will be under cover I am considering plastic track mainly because it is cheaper than brass and will not be subject to weathering.
Anybody had any experience with using plastic track?
I know Train-Li have it but was wondering if there are other suppliers that I could compare prices with noting I am in Australia and freight will be the killer.
If the total price + freight is more than I can buy brass from my local supplier then I will use brass.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Graeme,

Another choice for straight sections is to just cut square pieces roughly 3/8 in square and tack them down in gauge. or cut groves in plywood sections.

Al P.

In my car barn I used masonry flashing from the box store.

Like the J channel below…

Mate go to Bunnings and get some 3mil aluminium angle. Comes in 1 metre lengths and cheap

Trainli plastic track and cement ties are manufactured in the USA. rails come in 5 foot lengths and are sold in quantity. pro tie, pro rail.

A friend has suggested I just use grooved plywood as I have battery powered locos.

He also suggested I build my storage area with a sector plate or two (one each end).

The suggestion of aluminum angle or T section maybe embedded in plywood is worth an look at.

These seem to be the possible solutions that I will explore.

Bob I am moving to Bundaberg in mid 2019 so we may be classed as “neighbours”

Thanks all

I got this suggestion from an English forum, looks like it may be the way to go.

https://riksrailway.blogspot.com.au/2015/02/how-i-built-some-storage-roads-in-garage.html

Seal the wood well, not only to combat swelling and shrinking from humidity changes, but so the dirt from the wheels can be cleaned off.

Personally, if not using “track”, I’d use the aluminum “L” angle… less work and sturdier and won’t sag and does not need 2 layers of wood to make up height/strength.

Greg