Large Scale Central

Bachmann Spectrum Couplers

Couplers have found a new home

I don’t need them as I have a bunch I got from Bob last TrainOps. I have been using Accucraft Fn3 couplers, but my last few Bachmann cars I didn’t swap them out and find that they are much more reliable than the Accucraft. They will couple nicely with Accucraft if left closed. They seem to be much easier to open than Accucraft, especially with a cut lever. Been thinking about going back to them on all my Bachmann cars and maybe converting an Accucraft car or two.

Of course, they don’t look as nice as the Accucraft, so it depends on what’s most important to you.

No problem with my Accu knuckles, Jon. What seems to be going on?

Some of mine have lots of miles on them. All body mounted with the Accucraft end beam mount.

Spectrum Coupler sounds like something Scotty would have to fix in a hurry when the Enterprise’s sensors went down at a critical plot moment.

John Bouck said:

No problem with my Accu knuckles, Jon. What seems to be going on?

Some of mine have lots of miles on them. All body mounted with the Accucraft end beam mount.

The steel pins are rusting up on me. My basement can get pretty damp at times and they have seen a little rain outdoors as well. This makes them not want to drop or lift which can add an annoyance factor when switching. I have modded about a dozen using a method Al Pomeroy taught me that will allow a modified pair to open like a 1:1 with only 1 pin lifted. The ones I have modded work nicely, but I have just as many or more that are sticky. Most stick in the pin up position.

Jon Radder said:

I have modded about a dozen using a method Al Pomeroy taught me that will allow a modified pair to open like a 1:1 with only 1 pin lifted.

Jon

Can you elaborate on this mod?

I may have written it out once in a post a few years ago, but I don’t really remember. Essentially is is judicious use of a fine file to smooth all of the mating surfaces testing operation as you go and keep filing until they perform as desired. If you remind me after the challenge I can try and find the old post, and/or try and document it better.