Large Scale Central

Steam hoist help

OK for the challenge I need a steam powered hoist. I have the basic concept of how a steam/winch hoist works. But what I am needing help with is how the plumbing would be set up. I will have a vertical boiler and twin cylinder single drum winch. So basically I am building a steam locomotive. I get that. So I am assuming that the winch speed is governed by a valve that is pulling steam off the top of the boiler. Then splitting off to each steam chest. Do i have that correct. other plumbing would be a site glass and a pop off. Anything else I am missing? How were the brakes applied. I see a break handle very similar to a locomotive. What would that be attached too to break and hold the drum? I am not looking for perfection just a reasonable facsimile of one, believable but not rivet counting worthy.

More or less a single drum version of this.

Dont forget the steam wench. Very important.

Devon,

You might want to think of a water supply tank with possibly some sort of injector pump to keep water in the boiler. Also a blow-down valve to get the crud out.

As for brakes, I think there was a brake band that went around the outside of the cable drum. loosen it to let the drum move and tighten it to stop. I think there was also a cog to set in the gears to lock it and keep it from rotating if the brake slipped.

I’m not sure if they reversed the drum rotation by gears or by reversing the steam supply to the cylinders?

Adam

Thanks Adam. I do have a water tank for this. Had not thought about an injector. I am assuming a similar device as a loco would work?. As for the brake what you suggest makes sense. Both a band on the drum as well as a antiratchwting device on the cog

Steve a steam wench maybe doable.

Devon Sinsley said:

Steve a steam wench maybe doable.

Be careful, though. She is first cousin to the lockmaster’s daughter. Ask Fred how serious that is. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Steam in low and the pipes you see are exhaust. Brake on far side. More unknown doohickey’s for your model! Maybe a clutch and an idler to control direction. Could be duplicate controls allowing workers to do other things at the same time. Might be a PTO on the back.

Be careful Steam Wenches are known to blow their tops.

Given the choice…

I know what I would want.

Yeah I’d take the winch also.

I got real lucky as I was going through Dick’s stuff. First, I found the carriage, cool won’t have to make that part. Dug a little deeper and found a drum that looks like it just might fit the carriage, perfect fit. Then I came across a nice vertical boiler that was painted very similar to the carriage, bingo perfect fit. Then as Adam suggested I need a tank, awesome, a perfect tank. I mean I am not kidding other than a few bits and pieces I have a complete hoist.

Yea David,

I bet that wench winch could get that old hammer mill rock crusher, in the background, humming!!

Adam