Large Scale Central

Water Tank Roof

Can anyone advise me how to layout and assemble a water tank roof like this one in Kens photo? I’m kind of stumped. Help!

Joe,

a lot depends on how you want to make it and what you want to make it from.

The pattern can be pretty simple, just a triangle.

1- the triangle base line should be the radius of your tank plus enough for the roof overhang.

2- The triangle height should be the height you want the roof at the center.

3- the third line of the triangle will give you the true length of the roof lines at the roof angles.

1. draw a circle using the true length line as the radius.

5- divide the circle into the number of sections you want in your roof; 6, 8, 12.

the lines drawn from the points through the center will give you the patterns for the roof.

What ever you use I suggest making up card stock patterns and assembling them into a roof for a test fit.

There are lots of variations of this but they all are pretty much done the same.

Rick

Rick Marty said:

a lot depends on how you want to make it and what you want to make it from.

Ahh yes, the old “materials thickness” thing - it has bitten me a time or two.

There are ways with math only (I’d have to look them up) or with drawing, or some mix thereof.

I’d use more drawing and measuring but, how to show that?
And someone is likely to have a more efficient method anyway.

With this:

The Pythagorean Theorem

If a and b are the lengths of the legs of a right triangle and c is the length of the hypotenuse, then the sum of the squares of the lengths of the legs is equal to the square of the length of the hypotenuse.

This relationship is represented by the formula: a squared + b squared = c squared

Use the above to set your height and c will be your length of each section. How many panels depends on how you divide 360 degrees

Joe,

I did this cad work for Dave Taylor on his water tank he made for a 2-1/2 inch scale live steam railroad. I sent him all the drawings so he could cut the wood in one shot on his table saw and be correct the first time…no guess work. I also helped Devon for the roof on his Mik Challenge. If you want me to calculate this for you with full size drawings, just let me know by PM.

Gary Armitstead said:

Joe,

I did this cad work for Dave Taylor on his water tank he made for a 2-1/2 inch scale live steam railroad. I sent him all the drawings so he could cut the wood in one shot on his table saw and be correct the first time…no guess work. I also helped Devon for the roof on his Mik Challenge. If you want me to calculate this for you with full size drawings, just let me know by PM.

Gary that would be terrific! Stand by for a PM (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

• PM sent