Large Scale Central

Backyard viaduct project, 1/3rd finished

I am trying to get my trains off of the kitchen table and outside, so I made some patterns and molds for concrete viaducts. I have six molds for the columns, 3 for straight sections and 3 for the curved sections. This layout is heavy, but portable, if you want to take a chance of injuring your back. Everything is just sitting there. It will be 160 feet long, with two tracks, and later I will try to spur off into the house. A work in progress. Today, it is raining, so no concrete work today, so I am working on the Superliner. Bob.

Looks great, about how much do the 3-column sections weight each?

Do you add some reinforcing inside?

Greg

looks good and heavy. I would like to see how you did the molds and some close up of the finished products

Here are some pictures of the project. The first one is of the patterns, from the pattern, I made urethane molds. Bob.

Nice!

Thanks Bob., I just posted some pictures for Pete Lassen or anyone else, for that matter, Bob.

I’m in awe Robert, your viaduct components look fantastic!

What sort of foundation did you prepare?

I have forms, one straight and one curved poured 3 inches thick and am pouring as I go to maintain allignment. They are 20 inches by 30 inches and I install the columns and the arches the next day. Bob.Here is another video. https://youtu.be/Eg-X9_A3pJ0

How does urethane hold up to concrete? Is it similar to latex?

Thanks Robert, Great job on them they look like they would hold up a tank!

robert brown said:

I have forms, one straight and one curved poured 3 inches thick and am pouring as I go to maintain allignment. They are 20 inches by 30 inches and I install the columns and the arches the next day. Bob.Here is another video. https://youtu.be/Eg-X9_A3pJ0

Thanks Joe, I forgot about that one. Bob.

Very nice !

The molds are very cool!

When I did a viaduct for my RR I opted for a much lighter with free materials to build with. Been close to 10yrs outside now and still holding up.

Thank you Rooster. Burl, the question about the difference between latex and urethane as far as toughness, I don’t think there is any difference, but I have worked with latex and while it is strong, it takes too long to set up. I can use urethane in 8 hours. These molds that I am using for the viaducts, show no wear, so far, and I am a third done. Silicone is another way to go, but more expensive. Bob.

Wow. Amazing work on the viaduct.

Thank you Nicolas. It is a slow process for me as I keep letting other projects get in the way, but someday, it will be finished. Bob.