Large Scale Central

Southern Pacific Narrow Gauge

Hey guys,

In lieu of the return of Southern Pacific Number 18, I figured I would see who else models the SP narrow gauge here?

IMG_2045

It will be great to see what you guys run with your consists!

Have a great day,

Matt

Here’s another from today.

IMG_2033

Matt

That’s a fine looking train you’ve got there (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif).

I do …No narrow gauge myself Matt. But bumping this thread as it’s Train Content and I like it!

Hi Matt,

Great looking consist.

I don’t model the Slim Princess but I do model narrow gauge short line and logging. I have followed the developments of the remainders of the C & C for years and have used several of their prototypes in my model building.

In fact I have two Bachmann 10 wheelers sitting on the shelf and I think this winters project will be to turn them into # 9 and #18 a project I have been putting off for years.

Looks like a great job on #8, what was your starting point?

Rick

Hey Joe and Rooster, thanks!

Rick, that’s actually an Accucraft Live Steam version of the Number 8. I had it out running in 90 degree weather today so it was a little tough to tell with virtually no steam plume.

IMG_2034

I rebuilt an Annie to loosely mimic an SPng loco. Here is the result. I still haven’t really figured out which engine is most “historically” depicts, but it was a fun project nonetheless.

IMG_2052

Ill have to keep an eye out for your railroad Rick, I always enjoy anything narrow gauge.

Matt

Nice looking train and scenery. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

I too model NG , logging and mining. The SPNG has always interested me, along with other California/Nevada NG.

I have a few pieces of SP rolling stock. I’d like to see a close up of your combine car that was often seen on the rear of SP trains.

John, unfortunately the best I could find for my combine was an unlettered accucraft coach. It’s close enough for me. I would love to find a kit for caboose 401, with the flat roof. The nice thing is that their rolling stock was always pretty simple, just made for getting the work done

I just noticed the roof. I’ve thought about bashing an Accucraft combine into 401, but other projects pop up.

Nice train though. Not too many people would know the difference, anyway.

How did you build that whale back tender on the Annie?

Nice consist, how big is the layout?

Hey John, that was a piece of pvc I picked up from the hardware store. The rest of the detail was just styrene that I had. A couple other small details between some heavy wire and parts from the parts bin.

Vic, it’s nothing too big. The full trip around is probably around 75 feet total. Here’s a shot of what I’ve got

https://flic.kr/p/C5XoKA

Sorry about the link- I can’t figure out how to find the embed link from Flickr from the app or mobile site.

Matt

Thanks that’s nice, more than I currently have.

I have #9 built. Probably 20 years ago. I can’t find any pictures, so I will have to take some. Never finished the boiler handrails.

Have #8 in work, for the same 20 years or so.

Carson and Colorado, later SPNG, go back a long ways. This is a scan of #9, 1961 or 1962. You might guess who is in the engineer’s seat. This was LONG before they made a museum. Just abandoned equipment out at Laws. We would ride our bikes out from Dixon Lane and play all day.

TOC

Quick shot I found of 9 heading downhill.

Nice Work Matt…I have followed most of your posts over the yrs and enjoyed them all.

TOC, that’s too cool to have that history. Who would have thought it would still be in the same condition today?! Neat to say the least though. I believe that #9 was the last loco to run on the branch wasn’t it? Right on through early '60 or so? I liked seeing the pictures of the “little giant” being delivered. That would be a pretty cool loco to have in f-scale. Maybe I need to get real good at scratch building to make this happen!

Vic, all it takes is time and money my friend. Both of which I wish I had more of. Ha ha!

Thanks Rooster, if you remember them all, there have been a handful of different railroads built up. So far, I have enjoyed running on the elevated track the most. It’s a nice set up for trains to run while you can sit back stress free and enjoy the show!

-Matt

9 was last, about 1960. 8 was the worst condition, SP decided it needed major work, so it got shipped off to Carson City area.

18 was next, shipped off to the park.

At the time they pulled the pin, 9 was best condition, now probably worst of the three.

The history is amazing.

I seem to recall a F&CC engine went to SPNG for a spell.

Ended up as a stationary boiler in Sacramento?

I’d have to check.

Matt Z said:

Thanks Rooster, if you remember them all, there have been a handful of different railroads built up. So far, I have enjoyed running on the elevated track the most. It’s a nice set up for trains to run while you can sit back stress free and enjoy the show!

-Matt

Matt,

Wasn’t it you that had the “Old Skids” for the layout ?

If not my apologizes