Large Scale Central

Winter Projects - EBT Caboose and 2 Box Cars

I finally decided to get a work space put together so that I can at least work on some of my rolling stock projects if not the outdoor layout. I had bought a neat little desk before we moved but it had three cupped and worn board that made up the top surface. I cut some fresh plywood and screw it down around the edge for a nice flat surface. I also hung some shelves up to hold tools and supplies.

Work bench

So what does this have to do with rolling stock? Well my first project scheduled for this desk is the completion of a Iron horse engraving kit of EBT Caboose #27. This will be followed by the build of two of Bob’s EBT boxcar kits I was lucky enough to snap up off of the D&B sale table (2 years ago already!) . At the moment I’m trying to figure out a shopping list of detail castings to complete all three cars. This will be items split between Ozark and Track side. One of my main con concerns at the moment is the brake cylinder and valve. I believe the appropriate unit for the caboose and cars is Ozark’s Item# HP-018

http://www.ozarkminiatures.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=23934

I’m just worried that it may be small if it was made for 1:24 scale and not 1:20. Has anyone used this Part #? How does it size out for 1;20 scale?

Also, I’m wonder about the following stove. (HP-100) Does anyone have a picture of this one? I’m hoping it’s different than the ones that are pictured.

http://www.ozarkminiatures.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=24015

I’m going to do some poking around out at the RR this weekend to see exactly what the prototype equipment looks like too, before I pull the trigger on ordering the castings.

I can’t answer your questions, but I’ll be following your box car build if you post a thread. I have two of those kits in the basement waiting to be built. I never bought any of the styrene bits for it. Most of the exposed details are just hand bent from brass stock. I have all the photos from the original build instructions if you need them. Unfortunately not the text . I’m not sure if Bob’s build thread is still around or not.

There were two versions of the box car kit. The late version was pre-drilled for grabs and other details. The original was not.

I just recently had experience at work using the water thin/clear acrylic welder at work. Applied with a syringe type applicator it wicks into the joint by capillary action and sets in under 10 minutes. Cool stuff.

Randy,

With the 1:24 casting as a model, couldn’t you fabricate a 1:20.3 close enough brake cylinder by upscaling, using plastic hobby shop extrusions?

I agree with Jon, this will be fun to watch.

That’s Cool Jon! Luckily, mine are the second generation kits. Yeah, I’ve never tried acrylic glue and am looking forward to giving it a go on these. I have all of the styrene shapes in house ready to go. Just need the castings. I’ll get some pictures and sizes from the real thing this weekend. Bob’s build instructions are in “Articles” under “rolling stock”. I have them printed out too. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Ric you’re right, but but I might let it slide if the size difference isn’t too egregious. That’s a bunch of fiddly cutting and gluing When I’m on limited use of my equipment. Right now everything is really crammed in my garage. We actually just broke ground on the shop addition. Once that’s up I’ll be back in action.

I bought the caboose built up to the point you see in the picture, at FEBT reunion auction. I’ve removed all four platform steps so I can model it in the uncut platform version. I model in 1926 before the revision happened. I’m really looking forward to having something to run on the tail of my train!

Randy, I cannot be 100% sure, but based on the part number (HP-XXX) I believe those to be from the old Bob Hartford product line. Hartford Products were for the large majority 1:20 scale. That brake cylinder I also believe is a D&RGW prototype, but my knowledge of where else it may have been used is limited. Personally, under the car, aside from adding weight, unless you are building contest quality models I don’t believe anyone would notice.

Thanks Randy. I thought the build was still on here somewhere. May have been an issiue with the pics a long time back - don’t remember.

If you would like some scrap acrylic to experiment with I can send you all the pieces I can fit into any size flat rate Priority Mail box you choose for cost of postage.

Randy,

the Hartford brake cylinder is a model of an 8" bore x 12" stroke cylinder, as others have said it is the common cylinder used under D&RGW equipment. I have a limited supply of 10" x 12" cylinders if you need one. please PM me.

Al P.

Thanks for the very generous offer Al, you are a stand up guy.

However, I think after poking around this weekend, the 8x12 from Ozark is exactly what I need. Here are two pictures I took, one is beneath caboose #28 and the other beneath box car #955 that is being restored.

EBT Brake cylinders

EBT Brake cylinders

They both appear to be the same cylinder, and you can even read “8x12” on the side of the one taken under caboose #28. This is fortunate because I’ll buy a few extra to use on future builds. I also took lots of pictures of grab Irons car ends and a few lousy photos of the caboose stove through the window of the locked door. But at least I know what I’m looking for now. I Have enough knowledge to get my order together and in now. Don’t worry I did also get some work done on the freight house too, it wasn’t all photo taking. The Freight house has now been stabilized and is no longer in danger of toppling over this winter. Fun stuff!