Large Scale Central

Modelling a simple ore dock.

I am starting this topic, in order to get/and discuss ideas on how to make a simple bit OUTDOOR benchwork, look a little bit like an ore dock. This topic may, in some minds be more suitable in the “Track and trestles” forum, but I feel that it is more an “Outdoor Model” in itself, even if it is benchwork.

This whole project came about, here on our OUTDOOR operating railroad, when the ore train arrived at the yard at one end of the railroad.

The train usually consists of at least 16-18 loaded ore cars. These cars took over the yard, so other trains could not be made up while the ore cars were there. Then, at the same time, the empty cars had to be ready for the return run.

What to do with up to 36 ore cars, in town all at once…that was the question. Up until recently, we used to simply take the loaded cars off the tracks, and put them in their storage tote boxes, and replace them with the empty cars, but that still tied up the yard for half an hour or more, and did not lend itself to the feeling of a realistic railroad operation. I might add, that we had this same problem in both our operations; Narrow Gauge, and Standard Gauge. (We do not intermix SG and NG type equipment, and alternate our operations, week to week)

A few open minded members of our operating crews, started looking at the “Problem”, and came up with a possible solution. We had the track, and switches, so the idea developed into a simple design of a “Peninsula” connected to an existing peninsula…not even on paper, just in a demonstration on the ground> No computers, or drafting tables were destroyed or abused in this project !!

The actual construction started on the just passed, holiday Monday, and completed on the Tuesday. Even the track and switches were in place at the end of Tuesday. Pictures have been posted by several people, but mainly by Steve Mckenzie/Mike Hamer.

OK; the peninsula is in and the track is laid… four tracks wide, now what can be done to make it more resemble an ORE DOCK, than just a plain bit of benchwork, without turning it into a maintenance nightmare…it does have to stand up to our snow and ice during the Winter.

Too much detail is NOT an option, but giving the impression of the thing “Looking more like an ore dock” is the NEW PROJECT.

Anyone with suggestions or ideas, who would like to assist, is very much welcome.

Thank you, in advance…

Fred Mills

Fred, might I suggest that it need a picture here to remind folks what it presently looks like. Look forward to the responses.

Pictures of the ore dock have been published here on the forums, by Steve McKenzie. They have appeared in the “Operations” forum.

I do not do pictures, but I will try to have Steve transfer several shots here to help anyone interested.

Thank you Alan.

Fred

Fred tried to nail Bernie’s foot to the 4X4, so he hauled off and hit him back. Actually, a wasp stinger found the eyelid. The foot bit is true.

(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Thank you, Dave; Posting those pictures is very much appreciated.

Fred Mills

Thanks Dave. I am sure it will be helpful to all the great modellers on this Forum. I already suggested to Fr. Fred that a Laker need to be considered. Well, what’s an ore dock without a Laker close by? (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

David Russell just told me that Dave Marconi is drawing plans for a shortened ore carrier, which he is going to build, and deliver in the Spring. Should I believe Dave Russell, or is this just wishful thinking on his part. There was another rumour floating around, that David Marconi contacted Ken Brunt, about tagging along on Ken’s next trip North…funny rumours are floating around like wildfire since I started this thread… and really all I was looking for, were ideas…!!!

The first thoughts I’ve had, are based on some pictures of an ore dock that Dave Marconi showed a while back, showing the loading chutes in an upward position, as when loading a boat is not taking place. That model could be easily simulated, without too much detail, and justify the lack of an ore boat, at that time. The ore cars were dumped into hoppers built into the ore dock, and the ore was stored until the arrival of the boat.

On the deck of the dock, above where the hoppers are located, simply cutting a bit of course screening into strips, and mounting it between the rails, on two of the sidings, on one side, could simulate where the ore cars are dumped.

Does that sound ok to anyone, besides me ?

We don’t need no stinking shortened Laker, full scale of the Edmund Fitzgerald!

Is the Fitzgerald suggestion some form of memorial tribute Bob? Or is it just because it may be well known. Anyway there is some choice here:

http://www.algonet.com/business-units/domestic-dry-bulk/gearless-bulk-carriers/

Note it is a Canadian company with good railroad connections. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

Ok maybe not simple but sure would make the ore dock area interesting. Must be a great ride for the operators! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RJfnk2S330

WOW!! Hulets, a jest I am sure Steve. Or do you have it in mind to fit some pedal type contraption to operate those loaders and having Fred do all the pedalling?

So is this simulating an unloading pier for ship to rail moves or a loading pier for rail to ship moves? The pier configuration will settle the query (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

I was trying to “Keep it simple”, and just simulate ore cars delivering some sort of “Ore” to the dock, for loading into ships.

Hey Fred, I’d wrap the sides of your bench work with some thin material. if you want to get some kind of plastic or thin exterior plywood well painted black. Strips could be added at corners and every so often to simulate concrete pillars between sections. Then just make a few dummy chutes to glue down the sides of it. some painted on rust streaks here and there, Done.

Go to a dollar store and get 50 turkey basters, slice em’ length-wise and you have 100 chutes just waiting for a ship to pull in… nail them to the side, hinged at the bottom with a bit of braided fish line tied to the bit to be lowered… Paint black and dust with your ore.

After that if your operators have time, they can imagine the details…

My thoughts…

John

I nominate;

Yep there’s nothing like a Laker Whale back when the waves are rolling over the deck and you are on watch.